How do you secure your gear?

MattJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

How do you secure your gear?

Unread post by MattJ »

I have always been impressed at the ideas and methods that BSJ members use to mount and secure their gear for trail runs. I couldn't find a thread on this specific topic, so I figured I'd start one. I'm looking forward to stealing some of the good ideas that get posted here! ;) Especially since I am still trying to figure out how to mount my fire extinguisher within reach from the driver seat during trail runs.

Here are some photos of the net and rack system that I use to keep everything secure in the cargo area during trail runs. There is also a barrier net between the cargo area and the second row passenger seats.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Cannoli
BSJ BOD Treasurer
Jeep Year: 2014

Re: How do you secure your gear?

Unread post by Cannoli »

I have the 2.5 lb Buckeye fire extinguisher. It comes with a solid metal vehicle bracket that secured to my driver seat frame with heavy duty zip ties.
IMG_0931.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

:like:
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I have a box that I built for the back that secured everything underneath and a rack that goes over that to which I mount a large Pelican case for extra lockable storage. Once the tail gate is closed and locked, everything underneath is secure. I removed it for the winter but now that the soft tops are back on, Ill be installing it this week. If I don't get photos up, I'll have it at the 101 if you want to take a look.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

My solution. Built a plywood box. Bolted to both the tub floor and sides of tub. Hasp for padlock. Aluminum drip edge.
Plywood partition to keep stuff from shifting and provide support to top so I can stand on it when needed.
Lid stay to hold it open.
Some have also employed kitty litter pails to keep stuff in. Tough and "free".

"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Here are mine...
MOLLE back panels for the seats.
(Layout)
Extinguisher going in front bracket of Drivers seat.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

How do you reach you CB or FRS if it is hanging from the back of your seat?
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

ImNotCassie wrote:How do you reach you CB or FRS if it is hanging from the back of your seat?
Headset with PTT (Push To Talk) button...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Bob - can you post the link to that fire extinguisher mount? Would help me make sure I buy the one that fits perfect with a JKU. Thanks!
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

MattJ wrote:Bob - can you post the link to that fire extinguisher mount? Would help me make sure I buy the one that fits perfect with a JKU. Thanks!
It's actually 2 parts (not including the extinguisher and clamps)

First is the Drake quick disconnect mount:

Second is the JK Adapter for the bolts of the Front Seat:

From there, just about any 2.5lb extinguisher should fit, Probably even a bigger 5lb might Just make sure that you get an ABC "dry" extinguisher. Don't want to spray any foam on an electrical fire...
--
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Is the fire extinguisher in front of the seat where feet go?
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote:Is the fire extinguisher in front of the seat where feet go?
It's along the front edge of the seat If that's where your feet are, you're not reaching the peddles. It's under your knees along the front edge of the seat, I'll be able to show better pics once the final bracket comes in (today/tomorrow) and I mount it up. Note, for normal "Daily Driving" I designed all my gear to be able to be pulled out. The Seat backs have quick release buckles, and the Extinguisher is also quick release and does not need to be there all the time, The only MOLLE bags that will be in full time are on the Tailgate for the Jumpstart gear, a small first aid kit (in a MOLLE Bag) and other full-time in rig gear (Toilet Paper, BugSpray, Tiedown Straps and Bunjies). But for trips, and Offroading I can put the geat in. easily and remove when away from the vehicle. If you want to see the setup I'll be at the 101...

Also, not noted, but the quick Airdown adapters are also in the Driver seat MOLLE pockets (forgot to list them, they were in the glove box).

Once I get my Onboard Air, I'm going to make a Hose set that can both deflate all 4 at the same time, and inflate (to the same pressure) at the same time. I saw one that someone made, from the onboard air port is split into two lines (one for each side of the Jeep) and the ends had attachments that were closed ports unless connected to the inflation port on a tire. (no leakage while connecting up). It was a very cool setup, and with an extension (One Male, One Female End), I can "Pass Gas" to another Jeep to help out others with inflation.

Here is that setup:

Link to the inflator "chucks"
--
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Bob - let's meet up for a few minutes at the 101. I'd like to see the extinguisher mount up close. Also, I know someone else who built an "octopus" onboard air system like your diagram. PM me if you'd like me to introduce you - it might be helpful to compare ideas and get any tips and tricks he learned during the build.
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

BlackKnight wrote:
MDSRACING398 wrote:
Once I get my Onboard Air, I'm going to make a Hose set that can both deflate all 4 at the same time, and inflate (to the same pressure) at the same time. I saw one that someone made, from the onboard air port is split into two lines (one for each side of the Jeep) and the ends had attachments that were closed ports unless connected to the inflation port on a tire. (no leakage while connecting up). It was a very cool setup, and with an extension (One Male, One Female End), I can "Pass Gas" to another Jeep to help out others with inflation.

Here is that setup:

Link to the inflator "chucks"
i considered that method but it takes longer than doing each one individually when you consider the time it takes to hook everything up.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

RandyCarol wrote:I considered that method but it takes longer than doing each one individually when you consider the time it takes to hook everything up.
Shouldn't take that long, the setup with the ball valve shutoff, with it set, clip onto the tires (optimistically 30 seconds per tire, including taking the cap off), then just plug into the pump and every now and then close the ball valve to check pressure. The longest time would be the fill, "roughly 4 times the single fill time, but all controlled at the ball valve/PSI meter. and all tires come down and go up equally. In the end, I'd say that this setup could only speed the process, along with the time spend bent over at each wheel.

PS> Though I have the 4 quick deflators that I bought at the Fall meeting a year and a half ago, I'm considering putting a normal valve also on the small manifold so it takes only one deflator to drop all the tires automatically.
--