New from Somerville

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: New from Somerville

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Looks like fun. What club is that in the pics?
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

ZAEDOCK wrote:Looks like fun. What club is that in the pics?
No club, just out with a few buddies from NH that day.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote:
ZAEDOCK wrote:Looks like fun. What club is that in the pics?
No club, just out with a few buddies from NH that day.
Cool. Just to give you a friendly heads up and clarify for the future, that last rock you're climbing back up is actually private property in which the landowner has not granted permission to use. The NEA4WDC (North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, to which Baystate Jeepers is a member) has secured permission from the town(who owns the front parcel) to access from the street to the town's property line at the top of that hill. Going down and beyond is trespassing. In addition, the town also advised not to use any of the go-arounds off the main trail (around the large ledges, etc.). If you can't make it, winch up. We also need to stay out of the mud hole towards the start of the trail.

:handgestures-thumbupright: I'd hate to see a fellow wheeler get a ticket or anything. On top of that, I've seen at least a dozen trails close over the last 20 years or so. The guidelines help keep the area open for all. That's the beauty of organized 4 wheeling.

The 2012 Baystate Jeepers schedule is going to be pretty good. Membership includes access to shared land with other clubs and NEA4WDC events. It will be the best 50 bucks you ever spent. :music-rockout:
ArticRubi

Hmm, had no idea the back side was off limits I remember it being fairly well used and I know I didn't see any signage to indicate otherwise. I won't cross into a "posted" area, ever, wouldn't want someone to do it to me.... Oh well, good to know, in the future I'll stay off of it. Too bad though, coming up the back side of the hill is the most challenging spot.

On a lighter note, I found out stock rubicon axle shafts aren't made for much horsepower. Snapped driver's side rear in half (clean break) and twisted the spline about 50 degrees on both of them :music-rockout: Got some chromo's coming to me, should be here to install by the weekend. Gotta remember to stay off of the skinny pedal on pavement, that Vortech blower is no joke!
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Cool man. Thanks for being positive. Some would tell me to go pound sand....

The town's conservation commission is kinda funky, as they don't want us to post signage, yet expect folks to wheel properly (like the mud hole - who stays out of the mud?). With our hands tied, all we really have to promote positive wheeling in this area is word of mouth.

Sounds like you're ready to step up to a Dana 60.
ArticRubi

60's are definitely an upcoming project, front and rear. I'm hoping to get by on chrome moly axle shafts for the time being...as long as I quit doing sweet burnouts I should be alright :D. Plan is to run the supercharger for hopefully 2 years, then do a 6.7 Hemi swap, G238 6 speed tranny, and an Atlas 4 speed. So, to prep for that over the next two years will be working on getting some 60's built, front coil overs, still deciding on game plan for the rear suspension...considering a cantilever setup, EVO makes a weld in package that's pretty nice. Anyway, lots of time to figure that business out. The supercharger makes great power, actually almost doubles RWHP, but it will never be a V8.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

The 6.7L is the Cummins - the 6.4L is the latest Hemi offering (with a 7.0L possibly coming out soon). I'm still on the fence regarding the complexity and cost of a Hemi swap. I suppose if you wanted to stay Chryco powered it's cool, but IMO a GM LS series engine has greater power potential, in a smaller package, for much less money.
ArticRubi

ZAEDOCK wrote:The 6.7L is the Cummins - the 6.4L is the latest Hemi offering (with a 7.0L possibly coming out soon). I'm still on the fence regarding the complexity and cost of a Hemi swap. I suppose if you wanted to stay Chryco powered it's cool, but IMO a GM LS series engine has greater power potential, in a smaller package, for much less money.
6.4L is a car motor, electric fan (such as found in Challenger R/T) The 6.7 Hemi and 7.0 are both available now and are truck motors so they have a mechanical fan. I would actually love to drop an LS7 in with a T-56 behind it, but the two issues with that now are 1.) Massachusetts requires (to the best of my knowledge) that if you are doing an engine swap, it must come from same manufacturer, from the same model year or newer. I'm not 100% on that, but from what I've read so far that seems to be the case. 2.) not much support on the electronics package yet for an LS. My plan is to buy a crate motor, weld in new motor mounts, and use an aftermarket plug-and-play electronics package. I want all of my factory systems, such as ESP, to function properly, and I definitely don't have the know-how to hack the ECU :D. There are a couple of good packages available through AEV and Burnsville Offroad that will let me do that.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Massachusetts emissions requires that the year of the engine meet/exceed the year of the vehicle. Engine brand isn't mentioned in any MGL's I know of. Lotta ching though. Cool for braggn', but not necessarily trail performance.

I was unable to find a reference for a Factory 6.7L Hemi, except for a 5.7L stroker kit/crate from Mopar. The late model Hemi's I found are the 5.7, 6.1, 6.4, and 7.0. Have a link? Currenty, the only two engines available for 2500 and up Rams are the 5.7L and 6.7L Cummins.
ArticRubi

ZAEDOCK wrote:Massachusetts emissions requires that the year of the engine meet/exceed the year of the vehicle. Engine brand isn't mentioned in any MGL's I know of. Lotta ching though. Cool for braggn', but not necessarily trail performance.

I was unable to find a reference for a Factory 6.7L Hemi, except for a 5.7L stroker kit/crate from Mopar. The late model Hemi's I found are the 5.7, 6.1, 6.4, and 7.0. Have a link? Currenty, the only two engines available for 2500 and up Rams are the 5.7L and 6.7L Cummins.
Happy to oblige. Burnsville gets their motors Mopar direct:
http://burnsvilleoffroad.com/engines/

I know it's not a Mopar link, but there's a member on another forum who just had one installed in is JK. 550 HP :D
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Yeah, that's what I thought. Those aren't factory production offerings.

The prices are insane for only 550HP. That's about a $70,000 JK to wheel New England trails. :doh:
ArticRubi

Prices there include installation, so you can cut that price in half. If MA doesn't require same mfg, I will definitely look more at an LS swap. Even an LS7 will be cheaper than putting in a Hemi.
mopar_power
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by mopar_power »

what do you really need 550hp to wheel in new england for except for bragging rights. to me that is just looking to break parts. to me if you put money in gearing and a atlas you would have a plenty capable rig for new england. i would spend some money on some body protection and a real cage to protect that thing trail are real tight around here and one good roll in it now and you have a totalled jeep.
ArticRubi

mopar_power wrote:what do you really need 550hp to wheel in new england for except for bragging rights. to me that is just looking to break parts. to me if you put money in gearing and a atlas you would have a plenty capable rig for new england. i would spend some money on some body protection and a real cage to protect that thing trail are real tight around here and one good roll in it now and you have a totalled jeep.
You're right, don't NEED 550 HP at all, but it is part of the larger build plan regardless. I also wouldn't say it's going in just for bragging rights, don't really like what that implies. Maybe I've just been a horsepower junkie for as long as I can remember and having something behind the skinny pedal puts a big smile on my face. Could go with a 5.7 Hemi, but for not much more investment in the motor I can have something a whole hell of a lot stronger.

I'm currently working on a plan for body protection, will be starting fab work on it this summer. Not really satisfied with what companies are offering for bolt on stuff so I'm going to have to do it myself. If you check out OffRoad Evolution's EVO Armor (which is now discontinued) that's more or less what I'm shooting for. Cage will be going in also, haven't determined how I'm going to accomplish it yet.

I understand not everyone likes my build plan. Example, I'm running 18" rims now because its my daily driver and I wanted some more stability on the highway...but I can still air down to 8 psi, get a nice footprint, and not lose a bead. Time frame for the Hemi swap is about 2 years from now when I retire it from DD status, and trust me, it will be more than ready when the time comes.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Nothing wrong with 550 HP! Everybody has their own idea of the ultimate trail rig, whether it's motor, gearing, axles, or even having a real body tub to sit in. That's what makes this sport awesome.

I break enough doo dee with 135HP in the Heep, but am still undecided on the powertrain for my buggy.

Trust me when I tell you, that I can hear the little devil dude on my shoulder whispering "You want a V8....V8....V8..."