Rear Diff Plug Leaking?

dvm
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Rear Diff Plug Leaking?

Unread post by dvm »

I noticed I have diff fluid very slowly leaking from my rear Dana 35 diff plug. Its a rubber plug, rather than a screw in one. Not sure why. I pulled it off and cleaned it ( with the jeep on a grade so fluid wouldn't pour out). Still drips. Its only a few drops a day, so its not a show stopper, but I can't park on our new driveway.

I'm assumming that the fluid level must be above the plug due to the angle of the diff with the 4.5 inch lift. Is that true? I think it has the correct amount of fluid.

I can't seem to locate a replacement plug online. The current one is the original, 12 years old,so the rubber may be too stiff.

So, the questions are:
Is the fluid supposed to be above the plug with the diff angled due to a lift?
Would a new plug fix the leak?
Where can I buy a plug online?
The more I learn, the less I know
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Rear Diff Plug Leaking?

Unread post by johnsxj »

If lube is coming out of the hole with the Jeep parked downhill, there's too much fluid in there.

Park it on level ground, put a catch pan under the axle, pull the plug and let it flow out (or pull the plug and siphon some out). The diff should be filled to the bottom of the hole or just a little under the hole.

Clean the plug and the cover around the hole then use a small bead of silicone on the plug to seal it.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

You can get a replacement plug for cheap... The stock ones are known for wearing out over time and leaking.

I think they are a dealer item, but they aren't much $.

JW
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

I would replace the stock cover with an aftermarket cover, they are thicker, less prone to damage off road. These come with a threaded fill plug, when wrapped with teflon tape, will not leak.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
95xj
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 95xj »

I have a "SOLID" diff. cover for a Dana 35 for $50.00 and if you want a lunch box locker I have one also for $100. From my son's TJ - Like new.
Spare parts.
email me at >> easterncalibration@verizon.net << if you want either or both.

Dennis - 95xj