Recomendations on replacement LCA mounts on a front axle?

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Recomendations on replacement LCA mounts on a front axle?

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

So when I swapped the d44 axels into my heep the lower control arm mounts weren't great. having stepped up to 35s and beating on my heep at Rausch and locally it seems I?ve tweaked one of them pretty good and I haven?t put skids on them yet. It?d probably be more work to bend them back to true at this point so Im thinking of having new ones welded on. My other weak link on the front axle is the track bar bracket. Can someone recommend a source for new brackets with or without skids and a better or replacement track bar bracket?

so far Ive only found the body / frame mounts for the LCA, rock krawler has a decent looking track bar bracket but im not sure they sell it w/o the track bar....

thanks
jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Recomendations on replacement LCA mounts on a front axle?

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I would make my own or add material to the existing. In fact, that's what I'm doing to the Dana 30 in the front of my XJ.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I had Lou install weld-on skids which "box" the LCA bracket and I found that makes a huge difference.

Rather than a full-on replacement you'd probably be fine w/ hammering out the existing brackets and welding on some skids.

If you're determined to replace them I think MORE make heave duty brackets which would probably work.

JW
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisD »

The axle is JUNK and can't be repaired!!! Re-install your D30 and I will be by to pick up your now junk D44 ;)/

But really you can purchase pre-formed mounts and have someone weld them on.
smileyfish
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by smileyfish »

the skids that jon is talking abot come from JKS , i had them on my tj.
dvm
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by dvm »

I tore my lower control arm mount off last year. I had it welded on and a steel skid plate welded on the front on both control arm mounts. 3 sides welded. Its served me fine so far. I tend to think that welding plates on would be better than a a bolt on skid plate guard, since the bolt on skid plate doesnt strengthen the attachment to the axle, I'm guessing.

The more I learn, the less I know
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

I had that same issue with my rear shock brackets ( My brackets are even with my rear axle they dont hang down ) I had a 3 /16 plate welded to the axle around tothe bottom of the shock mount It covers the whole shock mount So it welded on 3 sides Its lasted 2 years of being hit hard neve bent at all
Thats how i would go Everything I build up stronger I use3/16 over the stock piece Have broke on me yet
Last edited by Captian Carnage on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Straighten out the existing brackets then plate them in. The JKS weld on ones are nice as they are formed to give more room if you're using aftermarket arms.

The track bar bracket on the front axle is a bit tricky to replace on it's own as it's welded to the axle and the spring pad. I'd probably just plate it on the outside.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Jeff these guys sell a very beefy bolt on track bar mount, might have to call them to get a price/order.

http://www.evomfg.com/