Any input on the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee?

You can talk about anything here
Max
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Any input on the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee?

Unread post by Max »

It looks like it's time to replace my 04 Rubicon with a with a more (age related) friendly Jeep. I've been looking at the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee. I haven't seen one, other than pictures yet, but would like to know how everyone feels about the Trailhawk model. That seems to be the most aggressive Cherokee model available although it can't stand up to or even get close to the well established Wrangler Rubicon.

My very capable 04 is setup exactly the way I wanted it but with the 3" lift and 33's it gets a little more difficult to get into every day. (Especially if I'm standing on snow or ice.) So, if I have to back off on the trails I (use to) normally run, so be it. Recovery from my spinal surgery in 2010 has been slow.

The last straw was when I had to pay ~$150+ to get Midas to put on a lower radiator hose clamp that I couldn't do myself. Getting old sucks. Anyway, that's life and many of you will someday be in my position and will also have to make that decision. (/end rant)

So, again what do you think of the new 2012 Cherokee? Think it would do the trick for some (gasp) light wheeling?

I've got a ton of TJ stuff to get rid of with this 'change of direction' and will let you know what I have available soon.

(a tired) Max
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: Any input on the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee?

Unread post by Modeler »

I just read a review in one of the four wheeling mags that said it isn't horrible when the took it on Hell's Revenge. They said that trail setting for rocks was overly aggressive and that the sand/mud setting worked better. The report also said that the locker was the same in operation as the JK Rubicon one. It doesn't yet have any rocker protection available.

Edit: Just checked, it was Fourwheeler magazine, Dec 2013.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

I think a grand cherokee trail hawk would be better, just my $.02.

The cherokee evolution is as follows...
Compact Fiat.
Dodge Dart.
Compact fiat cross over
Jeep Cherokee.

The whole transaxle is up front and there's a drive shaft on a carrier bearing running to the rear diff.

I think you'd be better off, even, if you waited for a 2015 model.
Max
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Max »

Thanks for the input guys.
Guess I'll move this post over to the NEA forum to see what those guys have to say.

Max