Tons, Atlas

ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Tons, Atlas

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Disclaimer:
There's won't be any room for talk of pockets or pants or any variation of the two in this thread.

Putting this in the Tech section as it will serve as a build thread soon.

Confirmed orders today for a few items:
Atlas 4 speed, 11.7:1 overall
A set of Dana 60's from Solid Axle, kingpin front, full float rear, 8x6.5, 70" WMS, 5.38's, ARB's, 35 spline F/R, RCV's front, 1310 flanges
12" travel, 2 5/8" remote reservoir rear coilovers, mounted outboard

My last trip of the year is going to be Gretchen's, everything will start showing up after that and I currently have Tuesdays and Thursdays off. The plan is to swap the front in and stretch about 1.5" then stretch the rear 8" and comp cut. Fab rear coilover towers, lengthen both driveshafts. Currently looking for a smaller through-the-tub fuel cell to keep rear storage...looks like I'll be waiting for GenRight to finish their's to keep my JK emissions crap happy....their current 20 gallon model is too deep to accomodate a rear stretch. Contemplated doing an LS3/6L80 swap also...but it comes in at a very hefty price tag, can't justify it with 23k miles on a blown V6.

Have a buyer for my transfer case and I think he wants my axles too.

Stay tuned...Atlas is scheduled to ship 11/3, don't have a firm date from Solid on the axles yet, but it'll be about the same time.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Tons, Atlas

Unread post by Frank »

Holy Smokes ! You gonna be happy with that crate . FjR68
mark2215
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by mark2215 »

you should work on getting that flat tire fixed, that's your main problem! The only thing I like better than spending money on my jeep is reading how others are spending money on theirs! Your jeep is going to be a beast. I just wish you weren't so far away so I could come down and help you throw it all together.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Let me know if you need a buyer for the rubi axles. A friend on another forum is looking for at least a front D44...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

60's and Atlas's are solid choices.

You still won't go where I do. :lol:

...but you'll try and that's cool. :music-rockout:

ArticRubi wrote:Contemplated doing an LS3/6L80 swap also...but it comes in at a very hefty price tag, can't justify it with 23k miles on a blown V6.
Come on dude, this is an oxymoron with the way your build has gone thus far.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
jquader

Unread post by jquader »

Sounds like you'll be needing a new rear bumper... ;)
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
ArticRubi

Joliet Jake Blues wrote:Let me know if you need a buyer for the rubi axles. A friend on another forum is looking for at least a front D44...
Might hit you up on this. This guy is trying to low ball me on the axles.
ZAEDOCK wrote:60's and Atlas's are solid choices.

You still won't go where I do. :lol:

Challenge accepted...just try and keep up :lol: :confusion-helpsos:
ZAEDOCK wrote:
ArticRubi wrote:Contemplated doing an LS3/6L80 swap also...but it comes in at a very hefty price tag, can't justify it with 23k miles on a blown V6.
Come on dude, this is an oxymoron with the way your build has gone thus far.
Yeah, yeah, I know it. $5k just for the conversion package...It includes LS3 ECU, programmed to piggyback the Chrysler CANBUS crap, wiring harnesses, GM drive by wire gas pedal, brackets to relocate the V6 accessories on to the LS3, motor mounts, tranny mount, literally everything needed:
http://www.lswrangler.com
Then add a crate LS3 and 6L80 to it... :violin:

Bottom line, I can blow up and replace this 3.8 V6 five times for the cost of this swap. It makes some pretty nasty horsepower anyway.
jquader wrote:Sounds like you'll be needing a new rear bumper... ;)
Yes sir! If you come to the Gretchen's run I'll pull the PSC one off after the trail ride and you can bring it home! :dance:
Elwood Blues
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Elwood Blues »

ArticRubi wrote:Disclaimer:
There's won't be any room for talk of pockets or pants or any variation of the two in this thread.
nonsense, there just was lol

looking forward to this build
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green
"I Hate Illinois Nazis..."
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Jeez I'd like to drop those axles under my TJ.... :drool:....

If / when you need a hand with this, lemme know. I'll pitch in when I can
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know it. $5k just for the conversion package...It includes LS3 ECU, programmed to piggyback the Chrysler CANBUS crap, wiring harnesses, GM drive by wire gas pedal, brackets to relocate the V6 accessories on to the LS3, motor mounts, tranny mount, literally everything needed:

:-o $5K and don't even get an engine.

Sheesh. I could drop the small block from my drag car into my Heep for about $500, including a detuned camshaft.
Then add EFI for about $1500+/- While fun, it would be too heavy and unbalance my rig. Plus I would break more.

They don't give that pOOp away though. That's why I do everything myself.

"I've been to the mountains, and I've been to the valley's, brother, and I can tell you...that squirrel power will reign supreme". :music-deathmetal:
ArticRubi

ZAEDOCK wrote:
ArticRubi wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know it. $5k just for the conversion package...It includes LS3 ECU, programmed to piggyback the Chrysler CANBUS crap, wiring harnesses, GM drive by wire gas pedal, brackets to relocate the V6 accessories on to the LS3, motor mounts, tranny mount, literally everything needed:

:-o $5K and don't even get an engine.

Sheesh. I could drop the small block from my drag car into my Heep for about $500, including a detuned camshaft.
Then add EFI for about $1500+/- While fun, it would be too heavy and unbalance my rig. Plus I would break more.

They don't give that pOOp away though. That's why I do everything myself.

"I've been to the mountains, and I've been to the valley's, brother, and I can tell you...that squirrel power will reign supreme". :music-deathmetal:
Are you quoting yourself? :lol: If so, :like:

I wish it was as easy as dropping in an SBC, unfortunately what you're paying for here is R&D with a few electrical engineers on the team to interface the Chrysler computer with GM's E38 ECU. There is some additional built in cost in the kit...MoTech is the company that makes the kit and they designed it to be able to remove everything from the 3.8 accessory drive, supply brackets, and swap it over to the LS. Then there's motor and tranny mounts which are included, brackets and plumbing for a bigger radiator and trans cooler. Add in a drive by wire accelerator pedal and a few custom wire harnesses and things start getting expensive quick. I did have a look at a bare bones kit that's just ECU, wire harness, and schematics; it saves you about $1100 to source all of the additional parts and fab all your brackets and mounts.

A crate GM LS3 is about $3900, 6L80 is $2800. That's actually not too bad. The weight is the reason that makes the LS3 such a nice choice, all aluminum block and it weighs in at less than 100# more than my V6.

I haven't taken the LS off the build list for good, but I want to get my money's worth out of the motor I have in it. Going to wheel it all next season and reevaluate things in the fall.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

ArticRubi wrote:
ZAEDOCK wrote: You still won't go where I do. :lol:

Challenge accepted...just try and keep up :lol: :confusion-helpsos:
That will be a trail ride I will not miss.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

What do u do for work?? Just asking, not looking to bust balls.

Good luck on the build...
ArticRubi

Sold my business about two years ago. I was an electrician and built motor control centers for poultry plants. Now I just do a bit of day trading while I'm finishing up an accounting degree at umass.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Electrician? Poultry?

Hence forth, your rig is now officially called, the "Electric Chicken". :animals-chickencatch: