Backspacing 101 ... my idiot moment

dvm
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Backspacing 101 ... my idiot moment

Unread post by dvm »

Well, I may be an idiot admitting having an idiot moment. But, just documenting a backspacing ?lesson learned? the hard way.

Getting ready for my annual November Mass inspection. Last year I used my original 30? MTRs on the original Wrangler sport aluminum wheels as my ?inspection tires?. Passed no problem with the RE 4.5? lift. So, it should be no problem again, right?

Took off my 33? tires and wheel spacers. Got the 30? inspection tires on and started backing out of my garage. Heard a nasty grinding, so I stopped fast and turned the engine off. Heard a tire leaking really fast, and wondered, ?why was it leaking?... it was ok when I just now filled them?? and ?why would a flat tire make such a grinding noise??.

Well, turns out, the ORO steering system, which was installed this summer, was crushed against the aluminum rims and when backing my heap out of the garage, the steering bracket was acting like a lathe on the rim. Well ?. in the hardened steel versus aluminum competition, the steel wins, so the rims were ?lathed? and one rim cracked, thus leaking the air.

Duuuhhh. ?and I wondered why the front lug nuts tightened up a bit spongy. I thought it was just the rust on the rim getting squeezed. No! It was the steering bracket squeezing into my rims. Didn?t even give it a thought to check the fit?... backspacing differences ?? spacers/ no spacers?.different steering system?..just an idiot moment.

Now my inspection rims are toast, so I?ll try the inspection with my 32? Cooper STTs, which I was planning on running in the winter after inspection.

Hope the inspection goes better than the preparation!

The more I learn, the less I know
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Re: Backspacing 101 ... my idiot moment

Unread post by ChrisD »

Fyi - You would pass with your 33's mounted, I have never had an issue.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Chris wrote:Fyi - You would pass with your 33's mounted, I have never had an issue.
I would not be so quick to say that. Your milage may vary depending on where you go. I was failed for 33s in Littleton ma when I first bought my trail rig for being "too tall". I'd never set foot in that shop before ( nor would i again or buy water from them if I was on fire) but " be careful where you shop is what I'm saying.....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

ya but you failed for a boat load of items, not just for being on 33's
dvm

Unread post by dvm »

Last year ( first year I had the 4.5" lift), I took it to where my mechanic suggested, cause he brings his off road crappy looking heap there and they pass it. He installed my lift and said I should have no problem anywhere though. I had the Cooper 32" last year. Even thought I have at least 4 inspection stations within a half mile from me, I drove the 10 miles to get inspected last year. I had my 30" tires on "just in case".

The guy at the inspection station said (after he passed it) "good thing you put those small tires on". I replied "Why, is it close?" He then said "No, it just makes us look good". I don't really know what that meant, but I tend to think they would pass it on 32".

The height to the bottom of my door is 31" with the 32" tires. I can deflate a bit, to get another half inch lower.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Voodoo Chile wrote: be careful where you shop is what I'm saying.....
I couldn't agree more. My old Chevy passed inspection every year - no e-brake, no wipers, and an exhaust that could wake the dead (I had straight pipes instead of mufflers 8-) )

Took it to a family owned gas station, great people. Never had a problem ;)
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

dvm wrote:The height to the bottom of my door is 31" with the 32" tires. I can deflate a bit, to get another half inch lower.
The door height has nothing to do with passing inspection. The legal lift height in Mass is wheelbase x width / a safety factor of 2200. You can then add a 1" deviation for manufacturing tolerances.

A CJ/YJ/TJ can "legally" be lifted about 3.5". Technically, the MGL states that fractions are not included, so that would be 3".

Kinda stinks. :roll:
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Chris wrote:ya but you failed for a boat load of items, not just for being on 33's
Yeah but before I even rolled into the bay he said he couldn't pass me case the rig was too tall. I'm not talking any of the issues I had, this was simple lift and tire issues before they got started. The law is the law. You are in a mildly lifted very capable jeep on 32s. If you have a body lift and suspension lift and large tire it's best to be a bit cautious. In august I did my inspection and the shop owner thanked me for putting on my inspection tires. Simply put he said and we all know he has no control over what I do when I leave his shop. It puts the onus off him if I bring it in on 30s instead of 35s. He can still pass me but if there is scrutiny on the shop when i pull out he won't get busted when I'm on 30s
mightymeglet
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Unread post by mightymeglet »

Carl McFly wrote:
Voodoo Chile wrote: be careful where you shop is what I'm saying.....
I couldn't agree more. My old Chevy passed inspection every year - no e-brake, no wipers, and an exhaust that could wake the dead (I had straight pipes instead of mufflers 8-) )

Took it to a family owned gas station, great people. Never had a problem ;)
Agree, I take my TJ to a place in Hingham where they don't know poop. I went there for my insurance inspection and they said I had a 4 cal auto with leather interior. Yea it's a 6 manual. I found a low cut shirt helps pass my inspection with them. You might want to try that.
dvm

Unread post by dvm »

Here's a picture worth a thousand words:

:D :D :D :!:
schwalby

Unread post by schwalby »

I think you are looking at this all wrong. You now have some rims you u can sell on craigslist.

"Custom machined aluminum Jeep wheels. Machined for best weight distribution and increased fuel economy.

No guarantees made these wheels will hold air.?
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Did you pass with the 33's mounted?