TIRE INFO

dallen91yj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1991
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

TIRE INFO

Unread post by dallen91yj »

NEW TO BAYSTATE AND NEED SOME TIRE ADVISE. ANY THOUGHTS ON COOPER STT 32" TO 33". HAVE TO SWAP OUT THE BRIDGESTONE A/T'S
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Re: TIRE INFO

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Welcome. Obviously you're new to the forum, but did you join the club? You should post up in the intro section and tell us about yourself.

I guess Coopers are OK, but we really need more info to make a solid suggestion. Modified rig? Intended use? Daily driver?

Thanks dude.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

MOVED TO TECH SECTION.

JW
dvm
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by dvm »

I run Cooper STT 32". I have no complaints. They grip rocks well, seem to be better in mud and snow than my old 30" durawall (not kevlar) MTRs.
The more I learn, the less I know
dallen91yj

Thanks for the input, it sort of confirms what i've read about the Coopers on line.
dallen91yj

Thanks again for the help, but the coopers are way over priced, ended up with 32" MAXXIS BIG HORN. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good alignment shop in the Fall River Ma area?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

See if there is a 4x4 shop in the area that could recommend someone or would do it themselves. They know what we do and they would know whos best . FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

dallen91yj wrote: Does anyone have a suggestion for a good alignment shop in the Fall River Ma area?
YJ's are among the easier Jeeps to align as there is only one adjustment (toe only). Toe can be easily self attained by measuring the distance at a fixed location on the fore/aft section of the front tires which is parallel to the ground.

When these measurements are equal (or close to it), you're done. You can then adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
dallen91yj

THANKS FOR THE INFO. THE TOE IS GOOD BUT ITS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE MORE THE LIFT AND THE LARGER THE TIRE SIZE, MORE CASTER IS NEEDED. IS THIS CORRECT? MY PROBLEM IS THE WHEELS DONT RETURN TO CENTER COMING OUT OF A TURN
jsongy
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by jsongy »

dallen91yj wrote:THANKS FOR THE INFO. THE TOE IS GOOD BUT ITS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE MORE THE LIFT AND THE LARGER THE TIRE SIZE, MORE CASTER IS NEEDED. IS THIS CORRECT? MY PROBLEM IS THE WHEELS DONT RETURN TO CENTER COMING OUT OF A TURN

Less caster is needed with larger tires. If you're using shackes for lift, then have an alignment shop measure caster/toe/ Ackerman angle(Ackerman angle will reference if you have some bent parts), then purchase proper tapered shims for spring packs - This takes time to do properly as you might be taking the U-bolts off and center bolt out of the leaf springs.

As for the STT's, I've seen people have good luck with them, but they seem to run on the small side - have the tire dealer actually measure the tire - a 33 may truely be 32in.

Good luck
Scott
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Scott »

dallen91yj wrote: Does anyone have a suggestion for a good alignment shop in the Fall River Ma area?
Dave's tire, bedford st
Henry's tire

My favorite is actually Dartmouth tire, Dartmouth St, New Bedford