Time for new tires...Care to share your opinions?

Tina
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Time for new tires...Care to share your opinions?

Unread post by Tina »

Hello out there Jeep friends,
I currently have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport with GOODYEAR WRANGLERS Size: 255/75R17. I'm thinking of getting the GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC Size: 255/75R17 tires.

I have some thoughts on this (as I'm sure you do too). Here's what I'm thinking.

1. I'm not sure that I want to increase the tire size. If I ever have to change a flat by myself, I could be stuck because of the weight of the tire and my ability (or inability) to lift it.
2. I have a brand new spare tire that is the same size (for what that is worth).
3. I hope to continue to go off road; but, I'll probably stay on the mild side. Mark and Jason took me on some class 6 roads in Royalston and Fitzwilliam and that was good for me.
4. I hope to keep taking the Jeep on my Maine moose photography/kayaking/hiking trips which involves 6 hours on the highway each way. So, I want something that is still comfortable for that kind of driving as well.
5. I want something that is better than what I have in the snow (especially on my local hills). By the way, my plow guy loves his BFG All Terrains (from the BFG website...it looks like they are unavailable in my size). The Duratracs seem to have good snow reviews as well.

I'll probably purchase them soon (from VW of all places). VW sent me some "guilt money/credit" for my diesel Jetta; they called it a "good will" package.

Does anyone have experience with these tires? Or would you prefer to suggest something else? I'm all ears.
Thanks,
Tina
Spudcannons
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Time for new tires...Care to share your opinions?

Unread post by Spudcannons »

I have heard great things about the Duratracs. Quite ride, good off grip.
JKU Commando- I've tinkered with her a tiny bit.
RalphTomaccio

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Tires are going to be my next major item to my 2012, too, so I'm interested in these responses as well. As far as size, I think 33's would not be too large for you to handle. They aren't that much larger than what you have now, yet a step up. I've heard many good things about the Duratracs. One of the quieter tires you can get and still be somewhat aggressive. The only downside I've heard is that sidewall strength is not that great, but that is probably what contributes to the better on-road quietness and ride. If you stay on the milder trails, I seriously doubt you'll have a problem with the Duratracs. But, if you're like many of us, once you start upgrading your Jeep, if doesn't end and there is always something else to buy.

As far as you new spare goes, if you change tires, you'll have to bite the bullet and replace that as well.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

When you said that the BFG was unavailable in your size, I had to do some research. Apparently its a weird size. So, using this site (http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp) I was able to visualize different sizes. So, if you went with a 265/70/17, it will be only .6" taller, and marginally heavier, but, it opens up the doors to a whole lot more tires. Your spare should be fine, but not ideal, much like a donut. Good to get you home, but not good for full time.

My suggestion would be the General Grabber AT2. I have gone many, many places with these tires on my jeep, and they have never let me down. I've run them for 35k and they still have another 15-20k left in them. I didn't touch 4wd today while driving in this spring snow storm. I air them down to about 14-15 psi off road and haven't punctured a tire yet.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

I'll be at the 101 with a set of new Toyo Open Country 34" tires. My Nittos didn't hold up and their warranty procedure is a nightmare. I think this is the closest to "angry" I've ever seen Lou. He's done his best to cut through their bs, but at this point Nitto's lost a customer and possibly a vendor. After the 101 I'll let you know how the Toyo's are!
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Coopers or Goodyears made in USA! Duratracs are great tires just keep them rotated. I have had many sets on work/ plow trucks. I have to say tho I love my MTR Kevlars now.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I run the Duratracs on my JKU. Ive done a few class VI roads with them and some deep snow last year. The are fairly quiet and have woked well for me on what is basically my DD. I would buy these again. I do get a little rub in the front air dam at full lock when backing up but aside from that Ive been very happy. I ran the MTR kevlars on my TJ in the 35" flavor for a few years and Ive been very pleased with those too... noiser more agressive tire than the duratracs..
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

I've been running Toyo Open Country ATs for 7 years, I'm on my second set. I trust them so much I put a set on my grand-daughter's Jeep - and I'm a very protective grandfather... Nothing that's not Grampi approved goes on her Jeep.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Tina

Unread post by Tina »

Hmm...All very good things to think about.

33 inch tires
So if I do go to 33 inch tires, don't I also need a lift? Or will the larger tires clear when I turn? Will I feel a big difference on the highway?

Thanks Mark for the potential Toyo update; I'm looking forward to the Jeep 101.
Tina
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

No lift required for 33s they are only 1" taller than stock, you may rub a little more offroad. I have 3.73 gears (tow package) and didnt notice any difference on the highway. Can still pass with ease and do 80-85mph all day... I lost maybe 1mpg or so overall but nothing too serious. I did change my wheels and BS on the wheels as well....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Tina

Unread post by Tina »

Thanks for the added information. I will consider the 33s.
And thanks for the comments about snow performance. My Jeep may become my daily driver; so, that is important to me.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Granddaughter's stock 2007 JKU got 33" when we went to the Toyos. She has no clearance issues.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Grey Warden
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Grey Warden »

Sorry for not responding sooner. I currently run 33s on my very stock vehicle. I've found after upgrading to the Mastercraft tire, I have really good grip and didn't lose mpg(ish). (As previously mentioned)No lift is needed and there is zero rubbing.