Let's Talk Lifts . . .

RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Let's Talk Lifts . . .

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Voodoo Chile wrote:Ralph are you near pulling the trigger on this? I may know where there would be space to throw the Jeep on the lift to knock it out quick. Don't forget you will need an alignment before driving very far as our model years will go into limp mode if things are off too much.... shoukd add $100 or so to your budget for that... :)
Actually, I could afford the Teraflex spring lift with shocks now but there are a few other things that could be done at the same time such as JKS quick disconnects, exhaust spacer kit (just to be safe) and one other item that I don't have the funds for yet.

As for the "other item", it's relatively inexpensive and I wanted to ask you guys whether or not it's really needed. On more than a few runs I have seen a few Jeeps on the rocks and one of there front coils would fall out. I found that Teraflex offers a spring retainer kit for the front lower and rear upper that helps prevent that. Would this be a good thing to add while the lift is being put in?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CISM2Q/ref ... L0Q8061S9D

That would be great to have another wrenchfest for my lift if that's at all possible. I'm guessing it would take maybe 4-5 hours?
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

RalphTomaccio wrote:
That would be great to have another wrenchfest for my lift if that's at all possible. I'm guessing it would take maybe 4-5 hours?

Ralph, always, always, always double your time estimate and then when you finsih early you look like a genius! ;) :lol: Stolen from Scotty of TOS Star Trek.

And as a person who puked out his coils springs way too many times before my limit straps I would say the retainers are an awesome investment. 8-)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
RalphTomaccio

Voodoo Chile wrote:
RalphTomaccio wrote:
Ralph, always, always, always double your time estimate and then when you finsih early you look like a genius! ;) :lol: Stolen from Scotty of TOS Star Trek.

And as a person who puked out his coils springs way too many times before my limit straps I would say the retainers are an awesome investment. 8-)

I hear ya, Jeff. That's why I used multiple qualifiers like "guessing" and "maybe". My mistake was in the numbers I chose, like "4" and "5". Should have probably timesed that by "2". :doh:
Hoodoo Man

RalphTomaccio wrote:
Voodoo Chile wrote:
RalphTomaccio wrote:

I hear ya, Jeff. That's why I used multiple qualifiers like "guessing" and "maybe". My mistake was in the numbers I chose, like "4" and "5". Should have probably timesed that by "2". :doh:

just messin with ya! I suffer from the disease called optimism too. it really shouldt take much more than..... and it all goes down hill from there.... :lol:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I'm down for a wrenchfest. I actually have a tiny bit of experience with coils so I can assist with those.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I got zapped by a coil once , does that count ? FjR68
Spudcannons
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Spudcannons »

Has anyone installed a metal cloak lift with their control arms? I'm considering a lift and have no experience with any lift companies any recommendations or review would be much appreciated.
JKU Commando- I've tinkered with her a tiny bit.
JKU sport

Unread post by JKU sport »

Has anyone seen or used the Rancho 2" sport lift with 9000 shocks? They have 2" front springs and 3/4" rear spring spacers. I've been thinking of going that route. $425-$449 with a $59 rebate back sounds like a good deal.
Any thoughts????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

JKU :) My suggestion is to do any lift kit once ! If a 2" kit is all your going to need ,Id find a Co. that has front and rear springs with shocks and what ever is needed to correct the steering geometry. You might not need anything but the springs and shocks and still have good steering. I drive a CJ so Im not a JK expert. The front and rear springs will be better suited to off roading than a spacer with a stock spring. Just my opinion and I suck at it ! FjR68
JKU sport

Unread post by JKU sport »

Frank, I completely agree with you. I really don't think I'll see my jeep more that 2.5" of lift. I was thinking of the Rancho due to the price, current rebate and I hear that some guys got closer to a 3" out of it in the front. Leveled the rear and then added rear springs. Unfortunately, funds are tight at the moment. I do currently have 1" front spring spacers I could through in for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RalphTomaccio

JKU sport wrote:Frank, I completely agree with you. I really don't think I'll see my jeep more that 2.5" of lift. I was thinking of the Rancho due to the price, current rebate and I hear that some guys got closer to a 3" out of it in the front. Leveled the rear and then added rear springs. Unfortunately, funds are tight at the moment. I do currently have 1" front spring spacers I could through in for the time being.
I'm pretty much in the same boat funds wise and hope to soon get the Teraflex 2.5" coil/shock lift. Recently realized I have to get 1.25" wheel spacers as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006D9W95G/ref ... DYEIPCW4OO

Here's some good info on choosing a lift.

https://teraflex.com/news_items/54ff5e4 ... 097b000d8b
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Ralph Why would you need wheel spacers ? With a unit bearing front end Id get different back spaced wheels not to put pressure on the unit bearings. Id save more coin and get the lift you want. You will be happier ! It will also ride and perform better. FjR68
RalphTomaccio

Frank wrote:Ralph Why would you need wheel spacers ? With a unit bearing front end Id get different back spaced wheels not to put pressure on the unit bearings. Id save more coin and get the lift you want. You will be happier ! It will also ride and perform better. FjR68
Hi Frank,

I questioned Teraflex directly regarding both the exhaust spacer and wheel spacers and here is what they said:

"Hi Ralph. You won’t need the exhaust spacer kit with our 2.5” lift with shocks, The shocks have the correct length that will keep the drive shaft from contacting the exhaust. You will need our 1.25” wheel offset adapters, if you want to run a stock rim. The stock rim back spacing causes interference with the longer rear sway bar links that are included in the 2.5’ kit. Even a stock tire can rub with a stock rim."

There's no way I can get 5 wheels for the cost of a set of 4 spacers.
Hoodoo Man

Ralph a lot of places can get you rims for the 100-150 range per wheel. that about what I paid for the black ones on my JKU. Get four now and run the stock rim for the spare for the moment. What do you want to run for Tires?? the tire height and width will determine what rubs etc.

Wheel spacers can be fine. but remember two cardinal rules: You must use locktite on the nut for the spacers and they need to be torqued to spec. i had a very bad experience with a wheel spacer as I had bought used and didn't know to use the locktite and thought "damn tight" was good enough. Lost all of the studs on my front tire on the highway. thankfully I head weird noises from the front and was slowing to a crawl when it went loses in the dark after a snow while it was raining. that was not a fun night waiting for AAA. :( In the end I only lost a unit bearing but I could have lost the heep or worse. I hate wheel spacers and will never run them again even now that I know how to use them properly.
1970 Jeepster- stock
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Wouldnt the relocation brackets we tried to put on Jeffs Jeep move the sway bar link out of the way ? Just sayin , I personally wouldnt run spacers. There are wheels for 60 buks apiece in Quadra,4 wheel parts, local speed shops. Steel of course no pretty aluminum . FjR68