New Tow Pig

You can talk about anything here
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: New Tow Pig

Unread post by ArticRubi »

The smurf is much less angry now. Running like a sewing machine. Vacuum spaghetti is gone. Much happier now.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

:handgestures-thumbupright:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I tow with my Explorer Sport Trac and get 25 empty and 14/15 while towing Mona. Its only a 4.0 V-6 but the 5 speed tranny map is fantastic. It will get out of O D very quickly and if 4th isnt good enough it opens the torque converter a bit to raise the RPMs to around 3200 and trys to lock up again. Only going to Rousch did it have to go to third. Still would like to find a Ford 97/02 - 250 extra cab shortbed with the 7.3 turbo . Good luck with the duramax , Weve had several in the fleet that have lost a cylinder , due to bad compression with less than 150 on the clock. FjR68
ArticRubi

Yup the early duramax' had some problems. Before '07 falls into the "generally avoid" category. '07 came with the LBZ Duramax and since then (LMM, now LML) they are damn bulletproof. Not to mention best transmission in the business.
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

Joliet Jake Blues wrote:so when do the mods start and axles come out from under this and go under the YJ? ;)

very nice!
Don't think Dunc wants IFS under his YJ, in fact I'm surprised he bought a 3/4 ton truck with it.
ArticRubi wrote: With a good tune and dumping some of the emissions crap you can get 25 mpg easy.
Tune it with EFI Live, works awesome with the DuraSnack trucks. I wouldn't delete any emissions stuff, you won't pass inspection, and if your caught on the road by Barney Fife it's a huge fine. Be hard pressed to find EGR and DPF deletes any more anyways, Feds came down on the companies making that stuff within the last 6 months.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
ArticRubi

DOUG wrote: Don't think Dunc wants IFS under his YJ, in fact I'm surprised he bought a 3/4 ton truck with it.

Tune it with EFI Live, works awesome with the DuraSnack trucks. I wouldn't delete any emissions stuff, you won't pass inspection, and if your caught on the road by Barney Fife it's a huge fine. Be hard pressed to find EGR and DPF deletes any more anyways, Feds came down on the companies making that stuff within the last 6 months.
I'd actually much prefer IFS for a road warrior. Especially up in NE on these crap roads. Butter smooth baby. Will certainly need to upgrade to MOOG for BJ's, TRE's, ect as the factory ones aren't known for longevity.

You're right on the emissions junk though Doug. After some more research on the matter it would be nothing but trouble here in the Commonwealth. Will likely just end up doing a new down pipe and filter back with a tune.
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Fed fines... For the owner... Up to $1million.

I like to read, and I get tons of business mags and e-mails at work, a lot of which I can ignore. Just read from three diesel manufacturers the fines for them, the fines for shops that do the work and the new fines for the diesel truck owners.

They're not joking around. And as diesels become more and more common, it will get worse.
DOUG
BSJ Member

Unread post by DOUG »

mrfreakinwhite wrote:Fed fines... For the owner... Up to $1million.

I like to read, and I get tons of business mags and e-mails at work, a lot of which I can ignore. Just read from three diesel manufacturers the fines for them, the fines for shops that do the work and the new fines for the diesel truck owners.

They're not joking around. And as diesels become more and more common, it will get worse.
That's why the pre-January 2007 diesel trucks are the ones to buy, and mod. Minimal emissions. At least with the Cummins anyway.

Dunc, does the newer Dmax require Urea (exhaust) fluid?
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
ArticRubi

Yep, takes Urea. Which is also another name for cat pee.
DOUG
BSJ Member

Unread post by DOUG »

ArticRubi wrote:Yep, takes Urea. Which is also another name for cat pee.
Don't let it run out, truck will go into limp mode.

Ford uses that stuff too. Cummins is the only one that doesn't have to, they run cleaner.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

ArticRubi wrote:The smurf is much less angry now. Running like a sewing machine. Vacuum spaghetti is gone. Much happier now.
you do a conversion and ditch the carb?
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Look up Bullet Proof Diesel . They have all the fixes for every diesel on the market. Great reviews also. FjR68
ArticRubi

Carl McFly wrote:
you do a conversion and ditch the carb?
Nah, just simplified the vacuum system and the gasket under the carb was leaky. She's all tightened up now! Runs nicely. Looks like I'll still be running my ratchet strap motor mount setup at FC. Ordered some motor mounts from Brown Dog right after we got back from F&F and I just got an email yesterday it would ship in "between 12 and 72 hours" .....eh?
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

72 hours allows for a three day weekend.
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I have a couple old TJ ones if they're the same... Doesn't take long to swap at all
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky