Jeni's New Truck

You can talk about anything here
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Re: Jeni's New Truck

Unread post by DOUG »

schwalby wrote:So may need a ball mount this weekend. What style is best?

I have always used:

But thinking this style might be a better option. Questioning the "adjusting part, seems like a weak link.

I have a bunch of ball mounts with various drops, including one that's adjustable. Let me know what you need and I'll see if I have it. I can bring it with me Tuesday.

Or I can bring all of them and you can choose which one you want.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

Thanks guys. I need to find out the height of the trailer first though. Hoping I won't need to today.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Check etrailer...

Most 2" ball stuff at the big box store stuff is usually only rated to 5k. To get 10k you're going to be looking at a trailer supply. For my weight distribution setup I did get a shank rated for 12k and a 2" ball rated for 10k, but as you found it was $$$.

JW
mika401
Jeep Year: 1948
Jeep Model: CJ2A

Unread post by mika401 »

Have the same truck in limited trim with 5.7 (has some upgrades) great truck, made in Texas with non unionized workers, tows awesome has decent gas mileage 17-21 mpg during the summer and 14-17 in the winter. Only gripe is the dam brake rotors keep warping, rear are worse then the front. Also wish it had a bigger fuel tank 26gal just isnt enough for those long trips. With the trailer hooked up it sits nice and level

FYI heres a Tundra that does 12s 1/4 mile.....

1948 CJ2A Buick V6 SM420 D18 4.27
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

mika401 wrote:

:shock: that Nova just got owned. That reminds me, it's import day at NED tomorrow. Nothing like watching Civic's pull 10's in the 1320. Or maybe wrench on my rig, prep for Go Topless Day. But not RC. Not this time. Was there talk of another trip to RC in the fall? :pray:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

mika401 wrote:Only gripe is the dam brake rotors keep warping, rear are worse then the front. Also wish it had a bigger fuel tank 26gal just isnt enough for those long trips.
Do you have the big TRD brakes? Granted I only have 56k miles on mine but I've had no abnormal trouble with the brakes and they can stop the truck and loaded trailer very impressively all by themselves (I can attest to this from when my trailer brakes decided not to work coming off the highway last time at Rausch). They've been smooth as glass for me.

I agree with the tank size! Fortunately I can go farther than the guys who are driving their rigs so as long as I stop with them at least I don't feel like I'm holding up the group.

I'm jealous of your gas mileage... I'm getting just over 16 now doing 80%+ highway. Time for a tune up... next week!
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

Carl McFly wrote:
mika401 wrote:

:shock: that Nova just got owned.:
I had a guy challenge me once... I didn't realize what was going on... I don't remember what kind of car it was but it looked like he had put some serious $ into it for performance. He was in front of me going <15mph, when we got to the straight away I went to go around him and he floored it pulling ahead, so I did too. I smoked the guy!
:music-rockout:
Carl McFly wrote:Was there talk of another trip to RC in the fall? :pray:
I do believe there was.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
mika401
Jeep Year: 1948
Jeep Model: CJ2A

Unread post by mika401 »

Marky wrote:Do you have the big TRD brakes? Granted I only have 56k miles on mine but I've had no abnormal trouble with the brakes and they can stop the truck and loaded trailer very impressively all by themselves (I can attest to this from when my trailer brakes decided not to work coming off the highway last time at Rausch). They've been smooth as glass for me.

I agree with the tank size! Fortunately I can go farther than the guys who are driving their rigs so as long as I stop with them at least I don't feel like I'm holding up the group.

I'm jealous of your gas mileage... I'm getting just over 16 now doing 80%+ highway. Time for a tune up... next week!
Stock ones didnt last long, upgraded to EBC rotors ft & rr and the fronts appear to be holding up, but the rears didnt last long already warped at +-5000mi. TRD setup is big $ trying to find alternatives before going that route.

Most of the guys I travel with have diesels, I always have to stop before they do sucks. There is a tank upgrade though 46 gal baby!!! Waiting to get that since I still have my 10yr/100000mi bumper to bumper warranty.
http://www.transferflow.com/shop/produc ... &c=10&s=p-
1948 CJ2A Buick V6 SM420 D18 4.27
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

mika401 wrote: FYI heres a Tundra that does 12s 1/4 mile.....

That's cool!!! Can certainly appreciate what it takes to go 12.0 in a vehicle that was NEVER intended to do so.
Would have been a great race between that and my old Ram. Difference being my truck was 4WD, weighed 7K, could tow 15K, and get 20 MPG.
I miss that truck....
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Kodi
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Kodi »

Psssst. on Youtube.... Doug vs Viper....go look.
DIFFERENT ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER, BUT BETTER IS ALWAYS DIFFERENT"

Dale Dauten
schwalby

I would like yo get one of those larger tanks. It would hurt like hell to fill it at the pump but wouldn't have to go as often. :)
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Posimoto
Jeep Year: 1954
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by Posimoto »

DOUG wrote: Frank, I'm pretty sure the Tundra is built in North America, with more Made in USA parts than the American trucks.
Yes, built in Texas where the plant employs over 1,800 Americans, and built with more American parts then the other three (sad). The Dodge trucks use 70% , Chevy trucks 61% and Ford truck 60%.
Scott
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Scott »

I NEED another truck. Josh, will you marry me too? :geek:

I never should have gotten rid of my Tundra. It was a 6cyl and towed a 25' campah w/o any problems.

BTW, I think Tundras have more American parts than a Dodge. And their employees are happier, make more and their checks are not government backed. Lol

Congrats on the new truck! :wink:
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Carl McFly wrote:
mika401 wrote: .... But not RC. Not this time. Was there talk of another trip to RC in the fall? :pray:
10/2–10/6 Rausch Creek, PA :bluesbros: :text-welcomewave:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
schwalby

I am trying to put together a cost list of everything I will need with the trailer when we get one. So far I know I need a brake controller but no idea what brand of tie down straps I should get. I was thinking of using axle straps because they seem to be a better idea. Any suggest on brands?
Josh Schwalb