Steering box

norstar
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Steering box

Unread post by norstar »

My Rubi has a small leak on the steering box input shaft and I am thinking of replacing the box.
What I've learned from web wheeling is that the '03-'06 TJs use the ZF box while the earlier models use the Saginaw box. The consensus is that Saginaw is a better box and PSC makes one. So what did you guys get when you replaced your box? Thanks!
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Steering box

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Folishly last year i got what crap autozone sold (remanufactured) and needed to replace it again this year. It was a warranty replacement. If and when it goes again im thinking psc
nostaw

Steering box

Unread post by nostaw »

I've got a PSC... So far I'm not impressed and I'm not sure it is anything special.

JW
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Steering box

Unread post by ChrisD »

Jon - what part are you not impressed with? just trying to more info...
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Little Napoleon wrote:Jon - what part are you not impressed with? just trying to more info...
Don't feel like it is a great upgrade over stock.... OTOH, how much do you expect when you do this kind of upgrade? The play in my steering went away, though some it back (and I haven't tried tracing it).

I replaced the stock box because there was a ton of play in the output shaft and I think it may have been starting to leak. The PSC was chosen because it was available for compatible $ to the other parts store options, but I don't think it has a great warranty.

I think you may be able to do as well as a PSC with a stock Dodge Durango box, which I think is less $ (I haven't priced them out in a while)... I've read a few articles about guys swapping them into Jeeps.

The MORE steering box brace was a good upgrade... Glad I did that one!

JW
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

Thanks Jon. I did the Durango swap on my XJ. Definitely has more power than the stock unit. But this can not be done on '03-'06 TJs without fab work...

I was also wondering about the PSC warranty. It doesn't seem that good...

"purchaser should contact the outlet where they originally purchased the product. A dated purchase receipt, repair order or other written proof that the product is within the warranty period will be required in order to honor the claim. The product must be returned to PSC freight pre-paid"

Cost of shipping it both ways plus repair time. Needless to say the Jeep can not be driven for at least a few days. Getting a lifetime warranty unit from AZ seems pretty good to me Jeff. :shock: I don't mind swapping out the box and changing the fluid once a year. :lol: I'm pretty sure some of us are currently using AZ unit without any issue.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I'm still on still on the factory box and when the time comes, use the spare I have (after drilling for ram assist) or go to the boneyard and spend $50 and run it another 16 years.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

norstar wrote:Thanks Jon. I did the Durango swap on my XJ. Definitely has more power than the stock unit. But this can not be done on '03-'06 TJs without fab work...
That is because XJs are perfect and TJs are inferior. 8-)

JW
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

:lol: I hope you have your flame suit on...
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

norstar wrote::lol: I hope you have your flame suit on...
We've had this discussion before.... I'm used to it.

JW
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

Impressive Joe! I'm surprised the box didn't die sooner from turning those 38s
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I still run the stock Saginaw box and have one on the shelf. Mine is from a 79 CJ in a 74. The spare is from a Camaro ! Same box and quicker than the stock. Good ol G. M. FjR68
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

Sounds like the older Saginaw box is better? The CJ version is a 4-bolt box, correct? I wonder if it can be bolted on to an XJ using only 3 bolts.