Fun With Photovoltaic's

Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Fun With Photovoltaic's

Unread post by Kurt »

Fun With Photovoltaic's
(Not you typical tech article about tires, gear ratios, suspension mods, etc :) )

A little background on this project....
Previously I set up my trailer with a living space up front with a few amenities for multi day Jeeping adventures.
One of the amenities was a set of three 100 ah group 27 deep cycle batteries to feed a 1,600 watt power inverter for powering the 110 volt refrigerator and some interior lights.
The current battery & inverter setup in the trailer..

Generally the 3 batteries would last for a 3-4 day outing but on longer trips such a Rausch Creek the batteries would get depleted and require charging to make it thru the entire trip. Once I brought a small portable generator to charge the batteries and it worked OK but I detest the noise a generator makes. It just ruins the tranquility of a camping experience. I certainly don't want to be "that guy" in the future disturbing fellow campers like the clown next to us did this past fall at Rausch!
Sure adding more heavy batteries would make it run longer but what fun would that be? :lol:

With the suggestion of a buddy at work and again by Ryan I looked into adding some solar panels to the roof of the trailer to generate power to recharge the batteries. This would eliminate the need to recharge the batteries on longer trips and would allow me to possibly power other items. I did a bit of reading and found that adding solar panels to RV's is fairly common. So being the electrical engineer that I am I eagerly dove into the project. :-)

As my first venture into photovoltaic's I decided to pick up a "kit" to get started. The Renogy kit I selected consisted of a single 100 watt solar panel ~2'x4', a solar charge controller, mounting hardware and some cables.

The first step was to temporarily set up the kit and wire it into the battery/inverter system and see how the single 100 watt panel did with the refrigerator running.
To my amazement the lone panel in the October sunlight was able to generate enough power to run the refrigerator and maintain the battery voltage. For this test the panel was pointed directly at the sun. In it's planned mounting it would be on the roof of the trailer horizontally and not directly pointed at the sun thus yielding reduced power.

Since the initial test was a success I ordered two additional panels to bring the total capacity to 300 watts. The added panels will provide some additional power to enable the use of other electrical appliances such as a coffee pot without drawing the batteries down too far.
Battery life is very dependent on how far they are drawn down before they are recharged again. Drawing them down deeply or to near zero capacity and then charging them back up greatly shortens their life span. It's best to only draw them down slightly before re-charging them. Hopefully the 300 watts will prevent the batteries from being drawn very far before they are again recharged by the system.

The roof structure of the trailer would not permit mounting the panels directly to the roof as their mounting tabs would not align with the steel arch's that support the thin aluminum skin of the roof. To get around this I will be using some 4' long pressure treated 2x2's screwed to the steel roof bows that support the roofing material. The solar panels will then be fastened to the 2x2's.

The additional solar panels arrived today and the roof top installation can now begin. ;-)
2x2's mounted to the center panel..

First step was to carefully lay out where to drill the 12 holes thru the roof from the inside. (Measure twice drill once)

Once the holes were drilled the center panel's support rails were screwed to the roof from the inside using some stainless steel screws and sealed with some RTV silicone sealant to prevent leaks.
After the first panel/rail assembly was installed the two additional panels were attached on either side of the first panel (they share mounting rails) and their rails where secured to the roof.

The panels come with standard "MC4" connectors and short leads. The leads from the three panels where then connected in parallel via a paralleling connector and then wired thru the roof and down to the wall mounted charge controller.
The back of the center panel with the paralleling connectors screwed to a block of wood.

After that the needed wiring was run from the charge controller to the batteries. Additionally I installed a LCD voltmeter so that the battery voltage can be monitored. (The charge controller has an "idiot" light to indicate battery charge level but a real voltmeter is infinitely better to determine the state of charge.)
Wiring from the panels was then completed to the panels via a fuse. A fuse was also installed between the charge controller and the batteries for protection should something ever go wrong!

Looking forward to see how the setup works next year. :dance:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Fun With Photovoltaic's

Unread post by schwalby »

Nice. Going to have to pick your brain next year when we start setting up a trailer.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Fun With Photovoltaic's

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Looking good! I'm def interested to see how well the panels maintain the batteries. I'll make sure I break my jeep next time so we can use some power tools and lights to draw them down...
Nicely done!
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

From the great minds come great things . Could you repeat that ? Wouldnt the Batteries be 1K Ah Vs. 100 ? I was under the impression a batteries life was governed by number of cycles , and short charging would build a memory duty cycle of only that amount used as a duty cycle (flat) . A battery used from totaly charged 12.7 to depleted 12.2 before recharging would yield longer duty cycles ? Having raced electric cars and trucks , we had to race 4 min plust two laps and metering the batt afterword would show you how well you chose gear ratio and engine usage of available volts. We then would discharge the batt to exactly 7.2 or 8.4 volts (6cell-7cell) for storage. They stayed that way till the following week . I know the Gell and spiral, and all the new style batts dont hold a memory but wet cells benefit from longer duty cycles . FjR68
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

Very nice!

Sent from my stupid iThingy using Tapatalk.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Frank wrote:Wouldnt the Batteries be 1K Ah Vs. 100 ?
100 amp-hours is correct for a group 27 battery.
You my be thinking of how many watt-hours the battery has. That would be 12 volts x 100 ah = 1,200 watt-hours.
Frank wrote:I was under the impression a batteries life was governed by number of cycles , and short charging would build a memory duty cycle of only that amount used as a duty cycle (flat) .
True - Deep cycle batteries do have a designed number of cycles that can endure from full charge to mostly depleted.
Actually lead acid batteries do not develop memory from shallow cycling.
Frank wrote: We then would discharge the batt to exactly 7.2 or 8.4 volts (6cell-7cell) for storage. They stayed that way till the following week.
Strange... everything I've read says to recharge batteries as soon as possible and to not let them sit for any extended period in a discharged state. When sitting discharged the plates will sulfate shortening the life of the battery.

When storing a 12V battery the cell voltage should not be allowed to go below 2.1v per cell (12.6 V for a 12 v battery). Sulfation starts when the battery voltage dips below 12.4 v.
Typical float chargers for 12 volt batteries maintain a battery in storage at ~13.1 volts... well above the sulfation voltage.

I use 8 different float chargers to maintain various batteries I have. :-o
4 are for maintaining the 8 group 27's I have for powering my 5KW backup power inverter system for the house.
2 for maintaining the batteries in my 5KW military surplus diesel generator.
The others are used to keep the Jeep and tractor batteries happy over the winter.
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

This is why Kurt is 'The Man'. That's an awesome write up
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Kitty has my tongue
Baseshakers

I'm curious, do the panels have a wind rating? Plastic or aluminum mounting tabs? Might be worth building an air dam... Just a thought!
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Baseshakers wrote:I'm curious, do the panels have a wind rating? Plastic or aluminum mounting tabs? Might be worth building an air dam... Just a thought!
They are rated at 2,400PA (50 PSI). They are design to be exposed to wind forces on building roof tops which could easily be in excess of 60 MPH so they ought to be good for the trailer roof too.
The frames are welded aluminum and the mounting brackets are aluminum (not cheesy plastic). Brackets are bolted to the panel frames with 1/4" SS bolts.
Since the panel are mounted flat the only air resistance is the front facing edge. Granted there will be additional drag as air passes over and under the panels.
They seem to be really sturdy in their mounting to the roof.
Since I don't do 90 with the trailer I'm confident the mounting system is good.

Working on another mod to improve the system. I'm swapping out the 1,600 watt Whistler modified sine wave inverter for a commercial Vanner 1,500 watt pure sine wave unit. Snagged a 1K Vanner unit at the same time too. Thank you Craigslist. :)
Besides having a pure sine wave output they also have an automatic sleep/awake mode based on demand. When snoozing it pulls just 130 mA. :dance:
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Baseshakers

Cool, all aluminum, should hold up nicely!

Pure sine wave is certainly nice, especially with that sleep mode. Good stuff all around.
nhdcoye
BSJ Member

Unread post by nhdcoye »

Only item missing is the GFI outlet for me to plug into :-)
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

nhdcoye wrote:Only item missing is the GFI outlet for me to plug into :-)
Actually the "new to me" Vanner inverter has GFI outlets. :)

BSJ Treasurer 2020
Baseshakers

Yeah... I'm gonna have to charge my tent batteries off that setup while we're out on the trail! 300W, plenty of headroom
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Bst tech write up I've seen in a while, Kurt.