You can talk about anything here
Mike 56
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: WJ

Best Jeep for offroad

Unread post by Mike 56 »

HI, Looking for some advice..
I have watched a number of Baystate Jeepers video on You Tube and I noticed that all of the jeeps are JK's, TJ's YJ's or CJ's. I was going to use my Grand Cherokee WJ for off roading, Before I put a bunch of money into it would I be better off getting one of the aforementioned Jeeps? My WJ does have capabilities but im not sure if i can get the ground clearence I will need.
Thanks!
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Best Jeep for offroad

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

There are a couple WJ’s in the club. Most of the trails we run are quite tight, so there is always a chance for running to body on stuff. If you don’t mind a little body damage, or scraping things here and there, it’ll be okay. In order to get meatier tires though, you’ll need to get an appropriate lift and possibly cut the fenders to fit. Check out the requirements on the website, get on the waitlist and look for an open run to tag along at.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

If your serious about wheeling , Id really ask guys with WJs how much they spent and things they had to do , or things that snuck up on them. Its tougher to lift yours than the other types. There are a few kits out now but always will be limited to the independent front suspension you have. Anything after the CJs are easier to find parts your looking for and each run had their own issues . Good Luck FjR68
Mike 56
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by Mike 56 »

Thanks for the advice,
Hoping to get out on the trail next year. I found a couple of CJ projects I am going to look into as well as checking on lifting my WJ.
Thanks Again!
ThundahBeagle
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by ThundahBeagle »

Hi Mike and Frank

I've got a 99 WJ with a "Kolak Special" with 2 inch Iron Rock Off Road lift springs and Pro Comp 9000 series shocks. True, the WJ has small wheel wells, so you either have to lift, or cut wheel wells to get bigger wheels under it, but it is every bit as easy as the TJ to lift...it has solid axles. Just don't go any bigger than about a 32, maybe 33 inch wheel at the biggest or you will have more mods to do.

The good news is that the WJ also has more cargo space, more passenger space, a real roof rack, and more towing capacity than a 2 door wrangler, and has the same engine and differential as the YJ and TJ Wranglers.

I know of myself and -Hazard- have WJ's, but I'm not sure of anyone else on here. Hopefully they chime in. Let me know if you'd like some more info.
ThundahBeagle
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by ThundahBeagle »

Beforeally lifting, check your lower control arms condition, and check to see if you can rotate your drag link or your tie rod by hand. If you can, you should plan on replacing those as well, or you could end up with highway death wobble
hig
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by hig »

Frank wrote:There are a few kits out now but always will be limited to the independent front suspension you have.
I thought the WJ was solid front axle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 TJ, D44s, ARBs, 35s, armor and stuff
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Some of the WJs have poopy transfercases for wheeling. Do your homework. They may have a steel roof, myself personally wouldn't wheel without a cage.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi