On-Board air

84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

On-Board air

Unread post by 84cj »

Lately airing up at the end of a run has been bugging me, 10 minutes a tire is getting way old. I have been searching for alternatives to my pep boys compressor and I was lucky enough to find a york 210 compressor with all the, pulleys, brackets and belts for only $140 shipped. Yes it works...

I have a few questions about the tank, I ordered up a 2.5 gallon tank from Kilby, but is the tank even nessesary. Also I was thinking about where to mount it? Under the hood or under the jeep over the rear axle befor the gas skid.

What have you done and would you do it differently?

Thanks,

Curtis
mightymeglet
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Re: On-Board air

Unread post by mightymeglet »

I don't have OBA, but I have a friend who has his outputs under both front seats, He only needs about 3' of hose to fill up, but its a pain for me to drive around his Jeep to fill up both sides of mine.
Account no longer in use.
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisD »

I don't have any suggestions, but a couple questions.
Do you currently have A/C? If so are you just going to run both? Also,did you buy the setup 2nd hand?
84cj
BSJ Member

Unread post by 84cj »

The jeep does not currently have A/C and for $140 bucks it is second hand.

Curits
ChrisH

Unread post by ChrisH »

My brother has the York in his TJ with no tank and it's still very effective at airing up multiple rigs quickly. Last run we were on together he filled 3 or 4 rigs up in less than 20 mins...I think most of these folks were running 30" tires.

I've done some reading on this as well, as I've got a York sitting in my garage, and I think folks use the tank if they are running air tools.
Si vis pacem, para bellum...

Row faster, I hear banjo music...
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

With the converted Sanden A/C system I'm using, I came to the conclusion that I could fill tires faster without the tank (my modified front bumper). So I put in an extra shut off valve to the tank and an air fitting before the valve. Now I have the best of both worlds.

Mounting the tank can get interesting at times. I wouldn't advise mounting it under the your Jeep. There's a greater chance of taking out an air line or puncturing the tank. You might be able to fit it under the hood on the passenger side fender wall. One of the guys on the last run had a tank mounted to the underside of the hood itself which might be another option, or you could mount it on top of one of the rear wheel wells, or behind the rear seat.........
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

:raises hand: CARL can we do this for a tech day and schedule one for say August? Dont have AC in my heep but have the spot to put the pump. Would love to get OBA too and Im sure we have a handfull of other people that would like to address this topic as well as it seems a perenial favorite.. I dont think we would need to use U do it in NH per se either, my neighbor has a huge parking lot and tools up the wazoo. Would be happy to host an event so to speak if there is interest and once I have permission from my neighbor of coures. :)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

The tank is mainly there to provide volume so you can keep up a sustained flow of air for things like air tools. Doesn't help much w/ tires.

The York can flow plenty of air, though you'll have to rev the engine a bit.

JW
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

I put a York on my CJ, best mod. I got a tank (~3 gal) in a trade but have never permanently mounted it. I sold my shop compressor before I moved and so I will hook up the tank when working on the jeep with air tools. As JW mentioned if you rev the engine you can run most air tools even without a tank. I found the tank did help fill up tires faster but not really a big enough difference to carry the tank around. I put quick connect on the tank so it can be removed. If I take the tank on a run I strap it down. FWIW I ran a hose from under the hood to a quick connect in the bed. Keeps the end clean and that is where I put the tank if connected.

-Andy
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

yes, you in the back...... no, not you, I mean the guy with the long arm suspension...... yes..... you...... do you have a question?
jpcamb wrote::raises hand: CARL can we do this for a tech day and schedule one for say August? Dont have AC in my heep but have the spot to put the pump. Would love to get OBA too and Im sure we have a handfull of other people that would like to address this topic as well as it seems a perenial favorite.. I dont think we would need to use U do it in NH per se either, my neighbor has a huge parking lot and tools up the wazoo. Would be happy to host an event so to speak if there is interest and once I have permission from my neighbor of coures. :)
why yes, I think that's a GREAT idea!!!!!! (note: insert 'great minds think alike' comment here)

That's something that's been on my wishlist for a year. My factory AC doesn't work and even if it did, I wouldn't use it. I'll have to round up some troops (subject matter experts) and see what we can do. And if we can do it at your neighbors, even better. Thanks Jeff
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

My compressor is under the hood and I ran a line along the left side (inside) to the rear fenderwell behind the drivers seat.The tank is bolted there with a Q D and the hose is 25ft. in the box til we need it. Not in the way and its blue ! I bought the Maxair kit. Its the constant duty madle and to be honest, Its just Okay. Never had any problems, just I see that the belt driven ones are about a tire faster. I think that if you have a tank , the compressor hAS a chance to cycle on off instead of constant run . Guess It comes down to what you like . FjR68
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

My 02 set up cost me under $200 It airs up my 36in tires as fast as a compresser from 4 to 20 psi cost me $20 to fill it
thats after 28+ tires In the summer
84cj
BSJ Member

Unread post by 84cj »

Thanks for the input everyone, I will follow up next week when its all botled up.

Curtis
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

"Sir, it's Mega Maid; She's gone from suck to blow."
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
schwalby

Unread post by schwalby »

I am trying to do the A/C conversion method but I am having a hard time finding out what model year(s) of the Neon and PT Cruiser have the same motor as my Jeep. Any help? I have the 2.4
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.