Grin and bear(ing) it

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Grin and bear(ing) it

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Funny how I work harder on my vacation days. Finally got around to replacing my rear axle, bought a new assembly for my 44 that wasn't a lot more than just a bearing. The axle just about fell out, no need for a slide hammer! Doing a comparo of the old and new axles I saw the original bearing looked a little light. Quick search of the axle tube and found my missing piece

Before I put the new axle in I just wanted to make sure the spline count was right. So I counted 35 on the new, 33 on the old. Then 31 new, 30 old. 33.... 31.... 30..... 35....... EFF IT!!!! :evil: Slide the axle in. If it gives me any lip, I have a 4 pound sledge and I know how to swing it. Worst case, I whale on it for a few minutes. It's going in!!!!!!

Turned out it didn't need any persuasion. Topped off my diff fluid (it was down 12 oz's) and then on to some more chores. Tomorrow's to-do list includes installing a RR tie rod / drag link, Skyjacker steering dampener and misc adjustments and nut tightening :shock:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Grin and bear(ing) it

Unread post by Frank »

Dude : You should be a detective ! The missing fluid I bet was lubricating the brake stuff. (no squeaking) Good find buddie. FjR68