Sound off

Alexmalo
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: J-Series Truck

Sound off

Unread post by Alexmalo »

So as most of you know, I'm probably the only person on this forum with a Jeep Renegade. Anyway, I'm trying to "liven it up a little." Any of you 4 cylinder guys have any Muffler recommendations?
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Sound off

Unread post by Lisah311 »

Most of the muffler mods I see are people trying to “delete” them.

I know magnaflow makes some, but personally, I feel like anything under the jeep that doesn’t add to performance off road is just going to get destroyed on the trails.
2005 Rubicon
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I have a magnaflow and I like it. It's less restrictive than the factory one and wasnt so expensive that if I do tear it off on a run, I wont lose sleep over it...
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Alexmalo
Jeep Model: J-Series Truck

Unread post by Alexmalo »

I love how helpful everyone is. The reason I am asking this question is for the reason everyone is stating, the muffler hangs to low. I have aftermarket bumpers and they are a little shorter then stock, so I need to relocate my muffler (I figure in the process, I might as well add a little sound) not only that but the stock muffler is a giant.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I kept my stock one until my original one blew out. I couldn't see the sense in spending the money on something I hadn't broken yet. Maybe pick the one you want and order it once the OEM one gets bunged up?
Chrome? Never heard of it.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I'm considering getting one of the Magnaflow "Offroad" Cat-Back sets for my JKU. It deletes the Muffler in the rear and puts it in line before the rear axle. There are two versions, one that is a rear exit, and one that exits before the rear tire.

This along with a loop delete and my JKU exhaust will be complete.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by Lisah311 »

JeepAddict wrote:I kept my stock one until my original one blew out. I couldn't see the sense in spending the money on something I hadn't broken yet. Maybe pick the one you want and order it once the OEM one gets bunged up?

This.
2005 Rubicon
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

I replaced my stock exhaust with a cat back because I needed the real estate the stock muffler took up to move my axle back and relocate my sway bar. I ran a Flowmaster HP2 because it is small, insulated and fairly quiet. Being small and insulated I can tuck it up tight to the frame and floor without worry and it isn't obnoxious but is slightly louder than stock so it actually has a benefit that I can hear the engine a little which helps driving the standard.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

A muffler alone really isn't going to liven it up, unless you mean the sound. Given the cost and vulnerability, I would only replace it when it needs to be replaced, especially if you decide to hit any trails. I used to go through a muffler a season and bought the cheapest one possible.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I can see some benefit for a slightly better flow but you also want to ensure that with the upgrade you dont change the backpressure too much as that can change engine performance. Its your rig, put one on it if you want to, enjoy it. I have always liked magnaflow on smaller engine cars and Flowmasters on larger motors. That is just a guys personal preference thou. As for picking one out, get out and listen to them ask folks what they have if you like it, or dont like it.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

pirahnah3 wrote:I can see some benefit for a slightly better flow but you also want to ensure that with the upgrade you dont change the backpressure too much as that can change engine performance.
Ideally, in the optimal power band of a 4- stroke engine, you want zero backpressure. Aftermarket exhausts typically offer less resistance to flow than stock, so he has nothing to worry about there.

I was referring more to the cost per output ratio. With the stock engine and tune, budgeting and running Super would probably benefit more as the ECM would bump the timing a bit.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005