help me decide: tires

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

help me decide: tires

Unread post by Baseshakers »

so it's time to make the jump to 35s. i am looking hard at BFG KM2s, Toyo M/Ts, and possibly the new MT/Rs with Kevlar. Thoughts/opinions? I'd like a 35X12.5-13.5 on a 16-17" rim.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
bcaswell
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: help me decide: tires

Unread post by bcaswell »

Timely question as I am also preparing to jump to 35s. Related question is should I stay at 15" rims for additional protection or move up to 16"?
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

I have heard a lot of good things about the Toyo's. I almost went with them last year and if I had known I was going to drive out west and the jeep was going to become a daily driver it would have been my choice. They are probably the most common off road tire I see in the Sacramento area. The KM2's seem cheaper but I don't know a lot about them. I don't really care for Good Year but this based on passenger tire experience from years ago and casual observation and not really based on research or technical data.

One thing to consider is rim size versus tire load range. Most 15" tires come in load range C (more than adequate for jeeps). Once you get into 16 or 17 rims the load ranges are typically D or E (geared towards pick up trucks). In my opinion there is a trade off between C versus D/E on flexibility versus puncture resistance. Load range C has less load capacity per tire, tend to be more flexible, weigh less, and maybe more vulnerable to punctures. Load range D/E will have a higher load capacity, less flexible, and may have more protection to punctures (more belts). My opinion is to stick with load range C as tire flexibility is an asset for off road. In a recent JP article one of the writers mentioned that they prefer 15 rim for the wider range of tires in C range. I did not do an exhaustive check for rim sized versus load range, something to consider. A positive for 16 or 17 would be better on road handling.

-Andy
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

MT/Rs with Kevlar! I love the set I purchased last year, but don't have enough seat time to compare to other tires. The center A/T strip helps with on road handling, while the rest covers the off road action.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have the Crushers and I have NO (0) wheel weights on any wheel !!!! Maybe not the grip of a T S L but then I saved about 14#s of weight for gas mileage . FjR68
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Can't speak to the M/Ts, but I'm very happy with my Toyo Open Country ATs. They did a great job in Moab, and they do fine in the mud around here. If the truck weren't a DD I'd go with the Toyo M/Ts. I have 16" rims, so I'm running the load range 'E' tires, I air down to 10 or so and get great grip, plenty of sidewall flex.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Baseshakers

i have heard great things about the toyos. i actually would prefer a tougher sidewall, as i've shredded too many sidewalls in my day! i'm looking to get 17s for a little more clearance.
dvm
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by dvm »

I've been looking at tires recently to upsize to 33x12.5x15". From all the "studying", my first choice would have been IROK Radials, also Swamper TSL radials, Mick Thompson MTZ Radial and Wrangler MT/R. Unfortunately, only the Swampers and MT/R are available in 33x12.5x15; and Swampers, for some reason are backordered untl July or August. So, MT/R won. All I need is some black tire die to cover the white sidewall lettering.

I'm riding Cooper Discoverer STT now 32", which I really like and will keep on rims. I just want 33", to feel a little less like I'm driving in second gear on the road, as I just upgeared to 4.88s.
The more I learn, the less I know
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by beaker »

Swampers are most likely backordered due to one of Interco's manufacturers going bankrupt this winter. So they needed to ship molds & get production going elsewhere.

I'd almost say wait if you think you want them, I've certainly been happy with their radials.

-mike
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Baseshakers wrote:so it's time to make the jump to 36s.
IROK bias.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

I 2nd Joe 36 in IROK bias I love mine But dont drive themon the street They will wear VERY QUICKLY
MTR are a very good tire grip on rock+ in mud and good on the road The best all around tire you can get in my opinion 35s stay with 15x8 rims If you get 36s go with 17 in rims the side wall is stiffer
You going to lift it more 35s will hit hard with your lift Your 33s get stuffed in your wheel wells I know mine did with 3 1/2 RE Super flex lift
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

You dont gain any height with a 17 over a 16 as they make the side wall shorter so you will have to air down more to get the same squat ! 35 is 35 on any rim size . FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Any interest in my 38's?

Been thinking about going to a 39.5".
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

ZAEDOCK wrote:Any interest in my 38's?

Been thinking about going to a 39.5".
me to LOL IROKs after a D 60
Baseshakers

i wish i could fit 36s, but i'd either have to lift it a bit more of go hiline. 35s will prob rub a bit, but it should be ok.