Hey again - back from falling off the planet :)

You can talk about anything here
Colin
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1993
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Hey again - back from falling off the planet :)

Unread post by Colin »

Just wanted to say hello to all you guys again.

Really missing the club, forum, and just owning a Jeep. Liking the new forums too!

You guys probably remember me from a couple years back, (Ryalt on the old forums I believe was my username) Colin:
That's my picture of the old Jeep.

Well I figure I got a bit of a story to spell out, of why I fell off the face of the planet.

Got a new job, moved down to Worcester and was working about 60 hours a week for the last couple years. Had to bring the Jeep to the shop at least twice a month for minor things, and eventually it piled up on me along with really not enjoying the 4 banger engine. So I had to sell the Jeep. Went through a couple cars, and most recently have a '07 Chrysler 300 as my daily driver.

Also got married during this time as well, which has been nothing but great. You may remember me bringing a lady on one of the runs awhile back.

So all of this time, I've had the Jeep itch.

Talking with my brother, he's going to be buying my current car. And I'm planning on getting a Jeep again. Right now I've got another commuter vehicle lined up for the time being, so I can sit and wait until the perfect Jeep comes up for me.

Going to be a 6 cylinder of some sort I am sure of.

I've been out of work since December, so been lurking on here and getting my thoughts together. Finally got another job lined up that is decent pay and doesn't eat all of my time. And the most important thing of all: I got the OKAY from the wife (she misses me not having a Jeep too :) ) so some point this year I'm going to pick something up.

But so hello again, I'm back. Felt bad about just disappearing but hope there are no hard feelings. It was really tough to sell my Jeep when I had to, but I'm hoping now it's a couple years later, I'm a little wiser, and can make a more informed decision on what I buy next. And when I had to let go of the Jeep, I just

Looking forward to talking with you all again soon :) Really miss the community here and had such a great time while I while I owned a Jeep it's bringing me back again.
nostaw

Re: Hey again - back from falling off the planet :)

Unread post by nostaw »

Hi Colin -

Good to hear from you! It is nice to hear you may be back in the Jeep world!

JW
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

Hey Colin - Thanks for checking in!

I was wondering where life had taken you. :P
Thought of you just the other day when one of your (past) employers trucks pulled up to local retailer.
I made it a point to to see if you might be manning the truck that day. Not....
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
smileyfish
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by smileyfish »

what's up colin, glad to hear all is well!!
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Hey Colin!!!!!!
We've got room for you to join anytime you like!!!!!!!!!!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Colin

Unread post by Colin »

Hey guys thanks :)

Yeah right now I'm going through listings and ads. It's going to become a medium for the next couple months as I build up a bit more of an egg to drop on some wheels. Really happy that things fell into place so I can get back into it. It's an addiction I swear... but it's one I like :) But it's great looking at all these different Jeeps and thinking... hey, that one could be mine.

I'm actually not just looking locally either. May greyhound/fly out to get an older CJ if I can find one in the condition I'm looking for. I plan on being extra picky this time around. Last time I was just happy to have a Jeep, and now I know a lot more about them.

Really thinking about picking up an '82 or older CJ if I can find one in pristine condition, and keeping it forever. That way I won't have to mess about with MA emissions at all if I'm not mistaken. Got the okay from the wife to get it, only thing it needs to be is a daily driver. So trying to wrap my head around what I want to set for an end budget, and what model years I'm looking into. Going to do a lot of research though... but staying away from the 4 angry squirrels this time :)
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Colin wrote:... That way I won't have to mess about with MA emissions at all if I'm not mistaken....
1995 or older YJ's have no emissions testing either :P
BSJ Treasurer 2020
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

The problem with a CJ is that if it is a DD in this part of the country it will start rusting once it sees salt....

JW
Colin

Unread post by Colin »

Fact I must have totally forgotten then about the emissions thing, is that a new law because I swear I had to bring my '93 on the dyno.

Yeah I've been looking at some with the fiberglass tubs, been thinking about the rust. What it comes down to is I plan on getting a Jeep I can have for the long haul, and build up as I want/need. I ran into the issue before of having a 4 banger, and when push came to shove, I decided to sell. This time I'm planning on getting one that for awhile I can have as a DD, but in the future I can get a second vehicle. Matter of $$ really, making more now than when I originally got into the game.

I don't know what it is about the CJ's, but I just like them. Everyone has that I'm sure with one kind of a Jeep or another, and I just like layout of them. Maybe it's remembering seeing them around as a kid, I don't know. But looking into all options that I can, this is going to be a couple months unless I find something I absolutely need to jump on right away. I'm in no super rush, and I rather enjoy hunting the perfect vehicle. Gives me something to do in the evenings I guess.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Colin wrote: Going to do a lot of research though... but staying away from the 4 angry squirrels this time :)
Dang. That's too bad. 4 bangers are less money and are great performers if you build it right. CJ's are cool too though - but buyer beware in this area for corrosion issues.

Good luck with your hunt.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

FWIW -

I can't argue with your sense of style (I like the look of CJs too), but the YJs would probably handle corrosion better and if you can get one with TBI it will be a lot better than a carb for trail / DD use.

JW
Colin

Unread post by Colin »

[quote="ZAEDOCK"
Dang. That's too bad. 4 bangers are less money and are great performers if you build it right. CJ's are cool too though - but buyer beware in this area for corrosion issues.
[/quote]

Yeah I mean, I liked my Jeep a lot, but having driven others and wanting to make this a DD/Small trail rig, having an engine bigger than a 4 is needed. I drive to VT several times per year to visit friends and family, and now to West Virginia to visit my brother a couple times a year, so being able to go over 55 uphill is definitely something I'm going to require this time around.

You guys have any thoughts on fiberglass bodies/tubs? I know they look good and don't rust, but would it just be totally abused and break on a trail? I know I was looking into a CJ front hood/grill/fender conversion on my YJ before I decided it was more cost effective to not put money into a rig I wasn't happy with because of the engine. Little things I guess.

I'd be looking at something that has a professional coating of sorts already (or gauge the cost of doing so) if I do end up going with an older CJ. I've also seen a few with the fiberglass tub/body, but I honestly don't know much about it and am doing my research now.

Either that or gauging other options as well. If I could find a perfect TJ I would, but they generally tend to be a bit more expensive, but you never know. I guess I'm just a round headlight kind of guy in the end.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Glass cracks, steel bends. Nuff said.

You can probably find a 4.0 YJ for less $$ than a CJ. Then do the clip conversion down the line.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

johnsxj wrote:Glass cracks, steel bends. Nuff said.

You can probably find a 4.0 YJ for less $$ than a CJ. Then do the clip conversion down the line.
I gotta agree...
Plus in a 91 and up YJ you'll get a wider wheel base, stronger frame, fuel injection!.
BSJ Treasurer 2020
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Fiberglass doesn't conduct so the electrical harness usually has to be redone to run a ground for all the stuff that would normally be grounded through the body. If the wiring isn't done well all-fiberglass bodies (in any car) have been known to developing weird electrical issues.

As John C said -- it definitely won't be as robust on the trail as steel.

JW