6 Bolt locking Hubs

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

6 Bolt locking Hubs

Unread post by Frank »

Im trying to find a repair kit for my locking hubs. They are Warn 6 bolt . When you take the hub off and look at the back side there is a snap ring holding in the drive gear on the inside of the hub. There is a bearing in the back of the hub that that gear is supported by. One of my replacement hubs had a plastic bushing there and the other one had an actual bearing. I would like to find a couple of those bearings to repair my spares cause my boy killed them at the rally. Any computer wizardry you could pull off would be awesome. Thanks FjR68
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: 6 Bolt locking Hubs

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Know if there the premium ones or standard? Premium are steel, standard are cast. Also what's the axle and spline count? I have a couple old ones hanging around for different stuff.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Can you read the part number of the bearing?

A few years back I had to replace a bearing in a central vac motor.
Got it at this place in Leominster, MA. At the time I just gave them the dimensions of the bearing and they found the appropriate part number and had it.
http://easternia.com/products/BEARINGS. ... y=Bearings

Just looked. They have two locations on CT

CONNECTICUT
410 Woodland Ave. * Bloomfield 06002
Phones: (860) 290-4894
Fax: (860) 290-4897

340 Woodmont Rd. * Milford 06460
Phones: (203) 877-3541
Fax: (203) 877-3547
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

The bearing has "Torrington" Y-246 . Looking as best I could , found "Timken" has purchased Torrington. On a forum a Guy said that number has changed to B-246 and was discontinued in 96. Not knowing how to surf well , I will call Warn tomorrow and a couple other places. One of my spares had a plastic bushing and the one that blew up also had the plastic bushing. The other spare had a real roller bearing and It in good shape I would get three to keep them reliable if I can find them. I think the ones that were on this 86 axle are from the original 74 axle. The spares could be from an 82 or 86 , I didnt mark it in my book. Mark , I would guess its cast as it split in 2 pieces on the body of the hub. The cap is all that was holding it together. Two bolts were snapped off (consecutive) I just bought a Warn stud kit as Ive broken grade 8 bolts on a regular basis. Im told this wont happen with the studs. Thanks for lookin guys . FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Honestly if you just need the bearings call this place, the guys here know bearings like nobodys business and know where to source them.

http://southshorebearing.com/
617-471-7800

South Shore Bearing Distributors, Inc.
111 Copeland Street
Quincy, Massachusetts 02169

Been doing business with them thru work for many years, very good people.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

The spare hubs I have are from dana 60 and 44 if the 44 will work for you your welcome to them. There out of a 70 something bronco
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

You guys are the BOSS ! Sorry for the delay . Stick made me take him to the great lakes for the Salmon run , which was awesome . Kurt :))))) I work in Bloomfield ! Will be checkin them out tomorrow. In the meantime , a guy in my hunters club is a machinist , with his own Co. as it turns out ! He has a hub in hand , the worn out bushing and drive gear. Aluminum bushings are being made for my three hubs. Either way , its gonna get better. Thanks Guys. FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Thank you Kurt . That guy was super nice and went out of his way to help. He knew the dimensions of the bearing looking at it. He ended up making some calls to big places that might have old stock. Nothing. SSB had the same luck , or lack of. Mark :) Its a dana 30 with 27 stock CJ splines. From what Ive uncovered , 74/82 have the same 6 bolt hub. Im going to have some aluminum bushings made for the hubs . It will be better than the plastic ones that are worn out. Possible its why I was breakin grade 8 bolts all the time. The holes on the one that exploded and the other one were slotted , not round anymore. The second one has cracks in it also. I think the axle tip was able to move back and forth with the play in the plastic bushings and ovaled the holes snapping the bolts. I bought one of Warns stud kit they had left . Funny I was able to get more info from outside sources than from Warn ! But they have new hubs for 276.00 ! Such a deal . Will keep ya up to date. FjR68