fluid change question

ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

fluid change question

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

If i am changing dif fluid and gasket do i need to jack it up if i have enough room with it on its tires?
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: fluid change question

Unread post by Kurt »

No need to jack it up as long as you can get to all the diff cover bolts and you can get the cover off without the gas tank skid or the steering tie rod being in the way.
Hint - loosen but don't remove the top diff cover bolt until you break the seal. Use a rubber mallet to rap on the side of the diff cover to break it loose. Be ready for a gush of fluid! Once broken loose THEN finish removing the top diff cover bolt.

Be sure the sealing surfaces of both the diff and the cover are super clean before buttoning it up. Clean the surfaces well with brake cleaner to remove any oil residue. If NOT using a LubeLocker gasket then apply a bead of RTV to one of the sealing surfaces and then install the cover. Be sure not to over tighten the bolts.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

Thanks Kurt, i cleaned everthing of old fluid and RTV and put new lube locker gasket. I have a torque wrench to tighten ... videos I've watched say 30lbs. Is that whats recommended or just make sure they are pretty snug?
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

IIRC I believe the lube locker instructions say 30 lbs. They also provide a map of the order in which you should tighten them (same concept as lug nuts.)
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Fcgeek
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Fcgeek »

ImNotCassie wrote:Thanks Kurt, i cleaned everthing of old fluid and RTV and put new lube locker gasket. I have a torque wrench to tighten ... videos I've watched say 30lbs. Is that whats recommended or just make sure they are pretty snug?
Be careful going to 30 ft lbs, you will likely snap the bolts. It might possibly be inch pounds. I skipped the spec and just made them tight following the diagram.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

Yup! It is pounds, but the max spec on those bolts is like 33 lbs! I never snapped one using a torque wrench, but I did snap one while hand tightening one that had backed out. Absolutely do not exceed the 30. Also, do a first round at 15, then go back around and go to 30. Or be a rebel and stop at 28. 8-)
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

Finished with this just before meeting for ice cream. I couldn't get the torque wrench in there so hand tightened. Nothing snapped and nothing leaked, I'll assume if they didn't snap then they won't. My plan is to check for any loosening tomorrow and go from there. As always, thanks for the input. I'm kind of learning as I go here, I would like to do as much as I can myself(with a little help from my friends) so I'll get to know the jeep. I'm not afraid to get a little dirty and there is a bit of satisfaction when I'm done. ;)
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!