Frozen Toe Adjustment Nut

RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Frozen Toe Adjustment Nut

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Small problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Part of the tire deal at Town Fair Tire is that they include a front end alignment. They told me they couldn't do it because the toe adjustment sleeve was frozen and that I have 90 to get it fixed and then they will still do the alignment free. When I got home I applied some PB Blaster on it for a coupled days, hoping it would help. When I brought it over to the shop to have the spacers installed, I had them see if they could free the sleeve. They tried for quite awhile, even heating it with a blow torch, and they couldn't get it loose either. They said that if they removed the tie rod completely and were able to use a vise on it, they may be able to free it.

What are your thoughts on this? Any other way to fix the issue?

Thanks!
Last edited by RalphTomaccio on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Frozen Toe Adjustment Nut

Unread post by Frank »

If PB and a torch didnt do it , What do you have to loose. I could see a vice being helpful but they would have to remove the whole steering linkage to fix it. There is a tool called a nut buster . You can rent it from Advanced,Pep Boys,. It will break the nut on a flat side so the grip is gone. If you have the room , cut it off with a cutoff wheel or hacksaw and then put a new bolt and nut. TaDa ! No Charge Dude :) FjR68
RalphTomaccio

I guess what I'm trying to decide is if I should put any money into trying to save the old one to save money or put it into a new one, although I can't really swing it right now after buying the tires and TPMS sensors.

Anyone have a take off they would like to unload?
RalphTomaccio

Got a nice surprise today. Received an email from Eric at Offload Elements who didn't see my email right away saying that he has a tie rod taken off one of their Jeeps that I can have. I'm going to swing out their tomorrow to pick it up. He says it has 12,000 miles on it.

Although he said I can have it, I'd like to at least offer something. What do you think a fair price would be?

Other than a toe adjustment sleeve that can actually be adjusted, is there anything else I should be concerned with?
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Glad to hear the great news! Not sure what I would offer myself but make a fair offer that you think is good.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
RalphTomaccio

I went to Offload Elements today where I met Eric and picked up the tie rod. Seems like a really nice guy. The tie rod appears to be in pretty good shape except for some scratches and chipped paint on the bar itself. No biggy! It came off a 2015 JK. I asked him if I could give him something for it and he said no. I then asked him if I could buy him lunch at least and, again, no thanks. I got it home and tried to loosen the toe adjustment collar to clean it up, repaint it and apply anti-seize to it and couldn't do it with my simple hand tools.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Its only strike two Bud ! With the buckle facing up fill it with PB for a couple days. You can rent the correct wrench for that turn buckle or use a pipe wrench on the very end outside the split. You can also put the sleeve in the vice and turn the tie rod or end. FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

Ralph, If you need a vice and some bench space to really torque it up I should be home this weekend doing some house work and hopefully tearing into a jeep so your welcome to my bench and tools as needed.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
RalphTomaccio

Silly question, maybe, but is the toe adjustment sleeve and tie rod end a "reverse thread" by chance?
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

Was a pleasure to work with you today Ralph, glad that thing came apart nicely and hopefully that trend continues for you in its replacement.
RalphTomaccio

Thanks for the help, Jim. Certainly didn't expect it to cooperate. A pleasant surprise.

Now, to get it on the Jeep and get an alignment.