ignition switched power source

KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

ignition switched power source

Unread post by KenCal »

So I am having E-Lockers installed in my 2012 JK but to save some money I will install the switches myself. The switches that come with the lockers have a red power wire from the battery, a black ground wire and a blue wire to be connected to a power supply from the ignition. My question is what ignition power supply have others used or do I just buy new switches and forget the blue wire. Eaton could only tell me that their switches need to have the blue connected or the switch will not work. The reason for all this is I don't want to mess up the electrical in the JK. Any help would be appreciated. :confusion-helpsos:
schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: ignition switched power source

Unread post by schwalby »

For my Trail Rocker I tied into the power supply Painless said to. Page 26.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/57000.pdf
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The blue wire just energizes the switch when the key is on , like a relay would. The main power comes via the batt. Use a test (continuity) light at you fuse box and find something that comes live with the key. FjR68
KenCal

Unread post by KenCal »

Thanks schwalby and Frank I'll check them out and let you know how I make out.
KenCal

Unread post by KenCal »

Ended up buying an "add a circuit" at advanced auto. I used the M7 fuse , it is for a rear power outlet and the sub woofer. My JK has neither but the circuit is there with a 20amp mini fuse. Took the 20 out and installed the add a circuit and used a 10amp in the top slot for the switches and left the bottom slot empty since I didn't need it. Thanks guy's for your help.