Two stroke outboard help

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Two stroke outboard help

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Can anyone recommend a good two stroke marine outboard mechanic on the north shore? The new-to-me 125hp 1986 force outboard on the new-to-me 1969 Glassmaster trihull is having issues. I can repair some of the problems, but have little experience tuning the pair of carbs in an outboard and adjusting linkages correctly. Any recommendations for a trustworthy and cheap (if it's possible to get both) mechanic are appreciated!
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
nhdcoye
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Two stroke outboard help

Unread post by nhdcoye »

I've got a carb synchronizer tool I had for my motorcycle that is straight forward to use if your interested.
Basically you connect the carbs via a small vacuum tube and adjust the carbs till they pull equal vacuum then monitor gauges and adjust the linkage till they both begin to open
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Ok cool, thanks Davey. I may take you up on that offer...
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I tried to respond earlier in the week , but without signal at the cabin---- SOL ! First , I dont know what issues you have but with two strokes they will run till they explode . I would start with a compression test and at least see 100lbs. Shouldnt be more that 10% out of whack . I assume its a 3/4 cyl. engine. The carb linkage is easy to see if they move at the same time. Important is that wide open throttle they are all wide open. Some of the MFG. had progressive linkage to let it idle and steerage speed without loading up. The main screw can be lightly closed and opened to 1.5/2 turns for start up. That being said , its an older engine and a compression test is first ! My Tracker is 23 yrs. old and I just had the power head rebuilt for 2550.00. Beat the heck outa 7k for a new one. Hope this helps. FjR68