Superchip Programmer

RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Superchip Programmer

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Anyone own a Superchip Programmer or equivalent that is capable of turning off the low tire pressure light on the dash of a 2012 JKU? I guess, more specifically, shut down the TPMS so that when a battery in one of the units needs replacing or is damaged, the dash light doesn't come on.
Last edited by RalphTomaccio on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Superchip Programmer

Unread post by schwalby »

I am not sure but I think they are paired to a vehicle so you can't just borrow someone's.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Superchips lock to a vehicle once you use them to program (at least they did in the mid 2000's when I last used one). As for the TPS system Superchips cant do anyhting about it to my knowledge.

What I knowof the TPS stuff is that they will last a bit and if your frustrated from airing down tires, just put them in a spare tire that you dont change the pressure in, keep in mind you cant really use the spare after this but it works to not have to worry about them.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Piece of black tape over the light. ;)
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Buy some pvc pipe and end caps, glue one end on the pipe, drill a hole on the other for a screw on valve stem, put all 4 or 5 sensors in it, then glue in the other end, pressurize to street pressure and done!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

What a concept ! Its cool how we have to come up with stuff to overcome factory stuff that we absolutely must have to be safe in the world of driving. I heard some of the folks at Rausch having abs issues after a mud bath because it couldnt read the sensor and would apply the brake thinking it was in a skid. Or something like that. You should have a button on the dash to shut that off if you dont want the function. They have a keyed option to shut off the passenger side air bag , why not the ABS or TPS systems. I say ----- Bogus ! Engineers , the smartest dumb people on the face of the planet ! FjR68
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

I have an AEV Procal which allows you to set the TMPS for anywhere between 22-29psi or disable it altogether. I originally purchased a Superchips which I returned for a variety of reasons. The relevant one here is that you can only turn the TPMS on and off (despite the box and website claiming you could adjust it - turns out they deleted that feature without updating their marketing.) IMO, if you're going to bother buying one, you may as well buy one that allows both features so that in the future you have the ability to use it if you have it. The stock TPMS setting is 36psi which is higher than most of us run our non-stock tires. If you're interested in the other reasons, I found my post from last year relating to this:

"I bought a Superchips specifically to adjust for my new larger tires and to change the TPMS settings. While I was doing that I figured I'd try one that could do the tuning for HP and economy. Long story short, the Superchips was a complete waste of money. Regarding the tuning options, there were really only two options - economy and performance. The economy option robbed the Jeep of all tourque. When I lifted my foot off the gas the Jeep would lunge forward. Basically it drove terribly. For giggles I tried the performance setting - opposite problem - the throttle would cause the Jeep to lunge forward with even the slightest touch. Overall there didn't seem to be much difference that would make me think the driveability issues were worth it. To make matters worse, despite the box and website clearly indicating it could adjust the TPMS levels, it actually could only turn it on or off. After complaining I was able to return it. I ended up purchasing an AEV that could adjust TPMS and adjust for tire size changes and that was it. In a nutshell, I don't recommend the Superchips."
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

So, Mark, can you confirm what others have said about these programmers being locked to one vehicle? If so, I see no sense in buying one just to turn off the TPMS. If not, I wouldn't mind contributing a few $$ to have someone turn mine off. And I don't like the tape idea, so it looks like I live with the light on. Oh my, the things one must endure! :pray:
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

Yes, they do lock to the Jeep. To use it elsewhere you have to unlock it which returns your settings to factory defaults, then lock to a new vehicle to make changes to that vehicle. In essence, it can only be used on one vehicle at a time.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Hey Ralph - if you're planning on changing tire size and/or regearing at some point, you'll need one anyway, so why not pick it up now?
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein