2005 TJ Skid plate question

mnoonan38
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

2005 TJ Skid plate question

Unread post by mnoonan38 »

Hey guys, I'm a newcomer that had first run this past weekend. I have 2005 TJ with Automatic transmission.

During the run I broke the skid plate towards the front of the vehicle that covers the transmission (see photo of one from online). It attaches to the frame in two spots and then has two small bolts that connects to the larger skid plate in the mid of the jeep.

I recently installed a Rancho lift that required me to drop the larger skid plate down with some disks, but left this frontal skid alone. When I called them to inquire about the frontal plate and if there was a kit for that, the tech support person stated that I should just remove this frontal skid because it is not needed. He indicated that having it in place will reduce the motion of the drive shaft during major front wheel articulations.

I feel like that leaves the transmission vulnerable, but not sure if perhaps there is a different skid I can get to protect the transmission, but still leave the shaft full articulation?

Any advise as would be great.

Thanks,
Mike
Attachments
skid plate (2).png
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: 2005 TJ Skid plate question

Unread post by Kurt »

More important that protecting the transmission is protecting the oil pan. They are just thin sheet metal and can be easily punctured. A real show stopper when that happens.
You might want to consider and aftermarket "engine skid" that protects the engine oil pan as well as the transmission.
Some mount up to the engine mounts on the frame and run all the way back and attach to the factory tcase skid plate providing protection to the oil pan & tranny.

Something like this... Fully protects the pan & tranny but doesn't interfere with the driveshaft.

As for articulation one always has to check their drives hafts for possible contact at full suspension droop. Adding a lift kit or changing skid plates can cause the driveshaft to bind against things at full droop.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020