Skid plates

ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Skid plates

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

I have been looking at the options for under carriage protection. I am starting with the lowest stuff first, control arms and differentials, etc. I noticed some of the control arm protection is a welded application and some bolt on. Is one recommended over the other. I have a small arc welder, will that do the job?
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Skid plates

Unread post by Kurt »

ImNotCassie wrote:... I have a small arc welder, will that do the job?
Depends on how small is small. The CA skids are usually around 3/16". Can your welder handle 3/16".

I have a 220V Mig welder here you are always welcome to use if you don't feel yours is up to a task.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

ImNotCassie wrote:I noticed some of the control arm protection is a welded application and some bolt on. Is one recommended over the other.
I have the bolt on type. The only possible advantage to them that I can see is that if you ever get to the point of having to replace your LCA's, it may be a little easier with bolt-ons.

One thing you may want to consider doing if you do decide on bolt-ons (or even with the weld-ons) is to upgrade the LCA bolts with these:
http://www.northridge4x4.com/northridge ... rdware-kit
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

Thanks Kurt. I will have to take a closer look at my welder. I haven't used it yet, my Brother-in-law is a welder so he was going to teach me.

Ralph, thanks for the tip on the bolts. Being a newbie tips are always welcome. Looking forward to getting back out on a trail.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

My lca skids are welded on and I have no issues removing lower control arms.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

My skids are home built. After our Canada trip the factory ones were bent around what ever they were protecting. I looked in all the mags , found something I liked , blew up the picture , went out to the garage and made it fit ! The homegrown are doin just fine. FjR68
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

On a JK you're going to want to be sure and do something to protect the Evap cannister. It sits underneath the jeep and hangs down pretty far, and it's expensive to replace. There are 2 ways to deal with it, either relocate it or put a skid under it. Relocation kits are available, but I just happen to have a new in box skid plate that will work. I can't remember what brand is, but they all seem to run around $110 - $120. I bought it for my wife's 2014, haven't installed it yet, and since that jeep won't be going offroad there's really no point. If you're interested, PM me with an offer...
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

Will the LCA covers or anything else I put on for protection hinder a 3.5" lift later. I don't want to find I have to buy things again to fit with the lift, I already realize I should have gotten bigger tires :( And what should I expect to pay for a decent lift without breaking the bank.
This sport is not cheap haha.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
RalphTomaccio

ImNotCassie wrote:Will the LCA covers or anything else I put on for protection hinder a 3.5" lift later. I don't want to find I have to buy things again to fit with the lift, I already realize I should have gotten bigger tires :( And what should I expect to pay for a decent lift without breaking the bank.
This sport is not cheap haha.
LCA skid plates or any other undercarriage protection shouldn't interfere with a lift that I can think of. Lifts range in price greatly depending on what all is included with the type of lift you get and your choice of shocks. Some kits include front or rear track bars, brake line extensions, upper and/or lower control arms, sway bar quick disconnect, etc., etc. etc. Although you do not have to do everything at once, it's nice to do as much as possible while things are apart.

Keep in mind that once you go above 2.5" of lift, you will most likely need a new front driveshaft because it will hit the exhaust crossover pipe upon flexing. You're looking at about $500.00 for the new DS. When you get to the point of knowing what lift kit you want, take the time to find out from actual users exactly how much lift you can expect from it. Most lift companies want to make certain that you "net" the amount of lift being advertised and will account for the weight of third party bumpers, winches, etc. being added that lower the lift amount to some extent. My recent lift was advertised as being 2.5", which is what I was looking for, partly to avoid the driveshaft issue. It netted me 4" of lift and, although there was no problem with DS clearance on paved roads, it limited my flex as it made contact with the exhaust, potentially ruining my OEM DS. Had I asked other users of the brand lift that I bought about this, I may have bought a different lift. Now that all is said and done, and I bit the bullet and spent the money on the DS, I'm happy with it. I just don't like surprises that cost big bucks!
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

I have skid plates to install, some welded and some bolt on. Kurt, if your offer is still open I would like to take you up on it for your help. I also have a questions about the CB spare tire mount. If anyone has that set up, did you have an issue with your "larger than stock" tire being in the way? if so what did you do to correct it? This picture is from the ad and shows how it is attached.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

ImNotCassie wrote:I have skid plates to install, some welded and some bolt on. Kurt, if your offer is still open I would like to take you up on it for your help. ...
Of course :)
Just let me know when you'd like to do it and we can work out a day.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

ImNotCassie wrote: I also have a questions about the CB spare tire mount. If anyone has that set up, did you have an issue with your "larger than stock" tire being in the way? if so what did you do to correct it? This picture is from the ad and shows how it is attached.

I had one of those and kind of hated it. I couldn't open the hard top without completely opening the rear tail gate even with a short antenna... Found it irritating. :violin:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

My brother had one of those for a short while and went to the one that mounts inside the rear license plate mount.

Picture stolen from the web:
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
RalphTomaccio

Modeler wrote:My brother had one of those for a short while and went to the one that mounts inside the rear license plate mount.

Picture stolen from the web:
I have one of the license plate mounts as well and am very happy with it.
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member

Kurt wrote: Of course :)
Just let me know when you'd like to do it and we can work out a day.
This Sunday is suppose to rain, is that a good day for you Kurt? ;) I know it's the holiday weekend so no biggie if your busy.
I have LCA covers, an Evap cover, and an oil pan/tranny cover.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!