P0445

wesley4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

P0445

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

ok so this code poped up on my jeep after having it run idle for about 2 min, and so i tryed to delete it while the engine was running and it wouldn't go away so i put it on ACC mode and deleted then *POOF* gone like a boyfriend finding out daddy came home early :P lol anyways i looked it up and got this

This indicates a fuel vapor leak or lack of purge flow in the EVAP control system. It means a large leak has been detected. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

and then it go's on to say

A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
* A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
* A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
* Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system

sooo i do have a wal-mart locking gas cap instead of the stock one but got that when i first bought the jeep so why would it throw a code now... but anyways tell me what you think homies
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: P0445

Unread post by johnsxj »

Maybe missed a connection or disturbed something when you dropped the tank Sunday.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
wesley4x4

well what other connections are there besides the fuel/return lines and fuel pump connector?? and i don't think kurt hurt the filler neck when he gripped it to move the gas tank, but idk. ill take the gas tank down on Friday and check all the hoses... but maybe my purge control valve is sticking or somthing... but there is no power loss what else might it affect, gas mileage?
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

johnsxj wrote:Maybe missed a connection or disturbed something when you dropped the tank Sunday.
X2

The key is "large" evap leak. That's easy to find. If you have a code for a small leak, good luck wit dat

When I was removing my gas tank straps I stressed the evap line on the top of the tank and cracked the fitting. A fitting that you can't buy. So I bought some AZ epoxy (that's OK to use with gas) and epoxy'd the bejeezus out of the fitting, let it cure for an hour and BAM!! no leak

Are you sure you put that line back on? Easy enough to tell, give it a tug :mrgreen: and see if it's loose

We found Eve's large evap leak by tracing that same evap hose from the tank, back to the engine bay. Where it connects to the leak detection pump, it had a split where it went over the barb. Grafted on a new piece and cleared that code 8-)
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
wesley4x4

Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

that's what the title said that probably means NOTHING TO YOUR KIND!!!! :P
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Did it just throw the code today? Or after the wrenchfest? Put gas in it lately?
Try tightening the gas cap 1st, if the code comes up again it's time to dig deeper.
No return lines on '96 up Jeeps. The pressure regulator is in the fuel pump assembly, not on the fuel rail.
On the gas tank there's the fuel outlet, filler neck/fill air vent lines, and two vapor recovery lines that tee into each other above the tank.

It probably won't affect driveability. The big issue comes when it's time for a sticker. If the CEL light is on, instant FAIL. If you erase the code and don't drive it long enough for the computer to reset, instant FAIL.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

wesley4x4 wrote:well what other connections are there besides the fuel/return lines and fuel pump connector??
your evap hose runs from your engine bay back to your gas tank and at about the same place you have your electrical connection and fuel line, that's where it connects to your tank evap line. And then it splits into a "y" and connects to your two rollover valves - right and left side, top of tank. If any of those fittings are loose or cracked, that can cause your problem

Wes - I'll email you a chapter from the service manual, it might be clearer with pictures
wesley4x4

Carl McFly wrote: Wes - I'll email you a chapter from the service manual, it might be clearer with pictures
Popup book???
Last edited by wesley4x4 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

with pics. that you can COLOR!!! :P
wesley4x4

ok so i didn't color inside the lines because i feel that lines can't hold in my creativity
Eve
Jeep Year: 2001

Unread post by Eve »

Ok, Wes, the real question now is did it come back yet? If it hasn't and doesn't in about a week you should be fine. I had a second big evap leak code after we changed my skid, reset it and it was fine after that. Make sense if you think about it...
Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Wes - check to be sure the vapor line is connected to the rusty line behind the drivers rear wheel. It's to one we cut and then should have re-connected.
Possibly that didn't get conencted, but I'm sure I did conenct it.
The line was also VERY rusty. Possibly it's rusted thru and allowing a leak.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
wesley4x4

Fixed the Issue, gas cap wasn't seating right :) thx guys
wesley4x4

Spoke too soon the check engine light came on agin and I'm guessing it is the same code, this really sucks. I'll just check it out when I do my trans swap.where can I get a return line made? it looks alot like brake line tubing so could I make my own?
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

This is such a common error, has happen on our XJ's a couple times. Tighten your gas cap and wait a couple days, should go away.