Painting TJ hard top

You can talk about anything here
BUK
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Painting TJ hard top

Unread post by BUK »

Hey, sorry if this post is redundant. I tried searching for similar posts, with no luck. Just got a tan hardtop for my TJ, and I am looking to paint it black.
Just looking for any suggestions as to what kind of paint to use, equipment, etc. I've seen some say rustoleum spray, some say bed liner spray. Any info or help would be great! Thanks!
Also, how do I get a BSJ bumper sticker to put on my new hard top?!
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Re: Painting TJ hard top

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Back when I had my first TJ, I painted the top with Krylon Fusion. It's a spray paint designed for plastics. It seemed to be quite resilient. I'd plan for a couple/few coats as I was painting black over black. You'll need to bake sure to get a thick enough layer of black to cover the tan. Read the can and prep the surfaces well.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

If you have access to a compressor and gun Id do it with them. Rattle cans dont spray enough pigment (paint particles) to cover well and you see lines because of the tiny spray pattern . Reduce a quart of Rustoleum and have at it. It will come out so much better and last longer . FjR68
BUK
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by BUK »

Hey guys! Thanks for your help. Ending up using some primer and Rustoleum Gloss enamel. About 3 cans of each. Came out great. Can't wait to hit the trails with you guys, one of these days!