Steering shaft play.

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Steering shaft play.

Unread post by del_TJ »

Is this amount of steering shaft play acceptable? It chatters every other time when letting the clutch out. Drives okay.

http://vid40.photobucket.com/albums/e21 ... ix3qgg.mp4
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Steering shaft play.

Unread post by johnsxj »

The fore and back doesn't bother me nearly as much as side to side I'm seeing down by the steering box!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

WoW ! No Its not supposed to be like that. Look at an exploded picture of your steering shaft and coupler (parts) . You can replace the bushings and maybe bearing. It will involve removing the steering wheel and shaft but it will be worth it. FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

If you haven't already, pop the overflow tank out and see what's going on where the shaft meets the steering box. I couldn't see it in the video.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

I just noticed the sloppiness, although I think I've been hearing it chatter for years :doh: I installed a reman Durange steering box right before the spring Rausch trip, and the splined shaft was a real tight fit onto the box and I definitely tightened the nut at the splines. I'll take a closer look tonight, but at the least I think the plastic bearing part on the shaft is toast.
71lzS6dripL._SL1500_.jpg
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

Got it apart and the two shafts that are part of the lower unit are seized together. Don't see any rust so..... how did I do that?! It couldn't flex so it popped the plastic cap ends off. Good news is that the needle bearing still looks good, is relatively tight (a little lose with the shaft on but I assume normal play) and actually still has grease on the inner surface. Might be time for a Borgeson lower shaft upgrade.
IMG_0864 (1).jpg
IMG_0864 (1).jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
mark2215
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by mark2215 »

If your shaft is the same as mine then there is actually a plastic pin that holds the two sections of the shaft together. Look near the junction of the two shafts, there should be a small white circle that you'll see on each side. This is a plastic pin that connects the shafts. It's designed to hold the shaft rigid but still collapse in the event of a crash. When I changed steering box I had to drill out this pin to allow the shaft to slide since the new gear box was different.
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I noticed the plastic pins but thought that they were supposed to set tension. Didn't realize that the lower shaft is designed to be rigid.

Is my only problem then that the plastic caps popped off the bearing? It seems that there's excessive front to back and side to side play in the lower shaft. The lower u-joint is still tight but there's slop in the shaft that doesn't seem right. I'm going to install a Borgeson heavy duty lower shaft anyway so I can compare the to the stock setup.