lunchbox locker?

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

lunchbox locker?

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

been saving this Q for the new forum. is that new car smell you added Chris? ;)

So what do you guys think of the Aussie lunch box locker? thinking of doing an upgrade to the front soon on my Dana 30 and IIRC JP liked the aussie for price and ease of install. Is this something Lou or Dom sell or do I need to go direct thru Aussielocker? Also as I understand it the locker is only axle specific so it wont matter if I need to re-gear when I upgrade to a dana 44 or 8.8 out back correct?

Thanks!
Jeff
Last edited by Hoodoo Man on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
nostaw

Re: lunchbox locker?

Unread post by nostaw »

Check out JP Magazine's lunchbox locker roundup and other articles here:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html

Lunchbox installation article:

General locker roundup:

JW
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I run Lock Rite frt. and rear. No issues so far. Kind of quirkie on the road but you get used to it. I have front hubs so it free wheels on the street. Nothing has broke in 5 years . If you change diffs, it wont fit another brand of axle. I believe it would work if you change carriers in the same housing as your only replacing the spider gears. FjR68
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

I run lockrite in the front I had afriend that blew his lock rite ( Something had to break that DAY !! ) Richmond gear replaced the parts at no cost the are dependable Richmond gear is very good to deal with I know of 4 or 5 others than run lock rites here and had no Issues The only thing that MATTERS IS THE AXLE a d35 OR d44 OR 8.8 IT WILL WORK WITH ANY GEAR SET UP AS LONG AS ITS MADE FOR THAT AXLE
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Running a LockRite (pretty much same as Aussie but I'll let the JP reviews do the talking) and it's only been a year but I'm real impressed with it. I was looking for a similar setup for my 44 out back but with the limited slip the install is more complicated and the price goes way up (don't bother posting the "trash" nicknames, I've heard them all before :roll: And I'm real happy with the way my 44 performs)
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Here's a nice picture of a Lockright.

One blown up lockright in 16 years is acceptable. I'm running dual LR's in my 44's now with 38's and am not kind to them. I do plan on going to a rear spool in spring though, for simple ruggedness.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dude ! That IS a great Picture. Must have sounded like a gun. FjR68
Eve
Jeep Year: 2001

Unread post by Eve »

I have the one on the left in my kitchen on top of my gas skid!
Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

My son Matt is running an Aussie locker in his D35, 99 TJ on 33s. It's noisy, but no problems with it so far.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Frank wrote:Dude ! That IS a great Picture. Must have sounded like a gun. FjR68
It sounded like a .308. Blew it up at Wayne's World on Owl Snot. Scared the kids, but I don't think Angie even noticed. Made it back to the NE4W BBQ by throwing in some spare spider gears. ALWAYS carry some when running this type of locker.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

X2 what Joe just said.

If you toss in a lunchbox locker, grab the gears that came out of the carrier, put them in a H.D. freezer bag then into your trail gear box!!!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by beaker »

Running Aussies front & rear. They do their job, but to be honest I'm starting to itch for selectable lockets F&R. You shouldn't notice it in the front, but running one in the rear will get you some clunks & lurches occasionally as you turn (and pull into parking spots...)

-mike
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Carl McFly wrote:Running a LockRite (pretty much same as Aussie but I'll let the JP reviews do the talking) and it's only been a year but I'm real impressed with it. I was looking for a similar setup for my 44 out back but with the limited slip the install is more complicated and the price goes way up (don't bother posting the "trash" nicknames, I've heard them all before :roll: And I'm real happy with the way my 44 performs)
Carl, I installed a Powertrax in my limited slip D44 carrier over the Summer and it was only a tad more difficult than the Lock Right up front. The only hard part was figuring out how to get thestock internals out of the carrier. I will say that the Powertrax has about a quarter rotation of slop that I'm not fond of with my slush box but that's about it.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour