You can talk about anything here
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

sheet metal- for TJ

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Morning all---

Does anyone have a good vendor/website/store to purchase some sheet metal to weld?

I have a rush dart/hole on the tub on the passenger side about 4" below the door. I want to cut out that area and sandwich the area with sheet metal.

Thinking of using a longer sheet on the outside that runs horizontally under the door, and maybe just put on the driver side to match..

Also, where I get this, it needs to be in my hand by Sept 6th to do it on the 7th!

Interior

Exterior

98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: sheet metal- for TJ

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Looks like you don't need much. Most Home Depot and Lowes locations will have smaller pieces in various gauges. IIRC you can get sizes up to 18"x24". It's probably 50% more expensive (at least) than going through a steel supplier but worth it sometimes for the convenience.

A lot of steel suppliers won't sell less than a 4x8' sheet. That said, I have a good bit left over of 20 gage from a 4x8' I got a month or so ago. I paid about $50 for the whole sheet. If you'll let me know how much you need I'm sure we can get it to you via Baystate express.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

Originally I was thinking 10 gauge, just to make that area really secure since it is a tub from a junkyard.

What did you use the 20 gauge on?

I saw some at home depot, I am debating about buying it from them, or buying pre-cut lengths.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
ArticRubi

I used the 20G to replace some rotted tub sections. Usually either 18 or 20 is used for vehicle exterior, 10G is pretty thick and would be difficult to form. It feels a bit flimsy when you have it in sheet form but once you get it welded in its a lot more rigid.

johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

For the inside, I'd say just go to Lowe's (much better selection than HD) and pick up a piece of heavy gauge (16-18ga) sheet metal.
You can also patch that outside spot with it then I'd suggest ordering some kind of rocker "armor" from Quadratech, 4wd Hardware, etc..
By the time you're done buying long enough pieces to do the outside and cutting them to size, it's just as easy to buy pre done!

Quick search on Flea-Bay finds...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2006-Jeep- ... 1e&vxp=mtr

Or a little shorter...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2006-Jeep- ... fb&vxp=mtr

Or peel & stick plastic...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11650-05-Rugged ... ed&vxp=mtr
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ArticRubi

Yep, more or less what John said. Even though its a bit more expensive to get the smaller panels at HD or Lowes, you'll probably have less than $30 in getting what you need. Definitely stay around 16 - 20 gage, straight pieces aren't a big deal but if you have any corners to bend the 10 will be tough to get a smooth corner. It's also a lot thicker than any of the steel you have on your tub and welding 10G to 18G (for example) will be tougher. You need enough current to get the 10 to stick but with it being that hot you'll blow through the existing stuff really easily. Sheet metal work is definitely a lot more difficult to weld than thicker stuff.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

thankfully, there are no curves!

The downside, is that I have to strip off the paint inside of the tub (UGH! I didn't such a nice job on it!) And on the outside to weld it a new panel on.

..I do have cans of jeep spray paint tho..
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
mrfreakinwhite

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

[cough]There's better places for your rock rail purchase, that can match those prices[/cough]
I have some decent small pieces of steel I got at tractor supply, where I found the right sizes at the right price.
Um, totally sexy, BTW! (Boy, I hope this isn't your hubbie posting on your behalf, LOL)

(((Kelly, please don't kill me for online non-sense)))
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

LOL Mike! It is not the hubs posting! He never looks at the forum.

BUT, I'm thinking just plain ol sheets with no rail, if that makes sense.

I will most def weld a square inside if the tub, which will be hard due to the interior wheel well..

Ah... is it really hard to cut a straight line in metal? :lol:
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
mrfreakinwhite

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

I have a welder, a nice Eastwood 115v mig, but I don't know how to use it. :/
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988

Unread post by johnsxj »

Amanda, on the plus side, your rust area is above the floor pan and in a spot that's a single layer of steel. The down side it's also a bit under where the wheel well and rocker meet.

Super straight cuts aren't important! The neat trick is to cut out the rusty area from the outside of the Jeep. Then place a piece of poster board over the hole, rub the edges of the hole with the handle of a screwdriver marking the size and shape of the hole. Cut out the poster board to make a template of the patch panel. Use the template to mark your sheet metal, cut it out, trim to just fit in the hole.

Use a couple of magnets to hold the patch flush with the body then tack weld.

If you're still looking for heavy gauge sheet to do your own sides check out www.speedymetals.com they'll cut to length and ship quick!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

mrfreakinwhite wrote:I have a welder, a nice Eastwood 115v mig, but I don't know how to use it. :/
Isn't there a vocational high school near there? You should check to see if they have an evening program. That's how I learned to weld - $180 for a ten week basic welding class, one night a week for about 3 hours. Well worth it.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

johnsxj wrote:For the inside, I'd say just go to Lowe's (much better selection than HD) and pick up a piece of heavy gauge (16-18ga) sheet metal.
You can also patch that outside spot with it then I'd suggest ordering some kind of rocker "armor" from Quadratech, 4wd Hardware, etc..
By the time you're done buying long enough pieces to do the outside and cutting them to size, it's just as easy to buy pre done!

Quick search on Flea-Bay finds...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2006-Jeep- ... 1e&vxp=mtr

Or a little shorter...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2006-Jeep- ... fb&vxp=mtr

Or peel & stick plastic...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11650-05-Rugged ... ed&vxp=mtr
You don't need to go to all that trouble for rock rails. My son Matt had a TJ, he just went to a local steel supplier (Grant Steel, here in Holbrook). They had 2 pieces of angle 4" x 1.5" angle iron about 5 feet long in their scrap pile. They gave it to him, and he just drilled and bolted it onto his TJ. Total cost about $5.00 for a rattle can of black paint and about $10.00 for stainless steel nuts & bolts.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Body panels used in autos range from 20/26 gauge. There is no need to patch with 10 Ga. John had the best suggestion on how to fill the hole with a matching filler piece. Instead of tracing the hole and trying to match it , just cut it a square as possible and match that. There has to be some one that can spot weld it in for you. Or you can take a drive to Ct. I will do it for you. FjR68
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

asauer17 wrote:

Also, where I get this, it needs to be in my hand by Sept 6th to do it on the 7th!
What, no Fall Crawl??
2022 Gladiator Rubicon