axle seals

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

axle seals

Unread post by del_TJ »

I'm replacing my leaking dana 30 inner axle seals today. What's the best way to knock out the old seal? Should I use a piece of black pipe from home depot? Or, a big socket and lots of extensions? And, any advice on how to press in the new ones?

Tony
nostaw

Re: axle seals

Unread post by nostaw »

I think I removed them with a piece of pipe.... I think I made a jig of fender washers an threaded rods to install the new ones.

JW
jsav4589
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by jsav4589 »

Use a pipe, or even better, broomstick. The good thing about a broom stick is that its wooden and wont marr up where the seal sits when its knocked out.

As far as installing, the fender washer and threaded rod is the more professional way to do it, but you can get away with using a big socket, usually the one you use to take your axle shafts out works perfectly, whatever that size is (32mm??), and a small hammer and tap them in.
2004 TJ rubicon
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The ring gear is going to be out anyway, so a socket that fits the seal is the easiest way to install it. I put two seals per side on my 30. Mine is an 86 so I dont know if you have the room. Mine has never leaked again. The extension thing is how I removed them but I have 25 and 30 in. also . The 30 almost did the long side by itself. Be sure to put the bearing caps back in the same spot, side to side and up right. FjR68
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

Thanks for the advice. I ended up using sockets for the inner seal job. I was lucky to have a complete large socket set! Since I sleeved the D30 the metal part of the inner seal is barely smaller than the inner sleeve. One socket worked to bang it out, but a socket 1/16" bigger or smaller wouldn't work.

I also finished redoing my rms that I knicked a couple years ago when I replaced it the first time. Finally learned to loosen the crank shaft on one end to allow enough wiggle room to slide in the upper rms half without damaging it.

My jeep is completely leak free now :music-rockout:

Next project is Poison Spyder tub mounted rocker guards. My Body Armor ones are bending and flexing into the tub :angry-cussingblack: