Lifts, inspections, how they measure.

You can talk about anything here
saf98tj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Lifts, inspections, how they measure.

Unread post by saf98tj »

Has anyone heard of this? Brought my jeep in for its first annual inspection since the bigger lift and tires. The inspector takes out a tape measure and measures from the ground to the bottom of my front fender flare and said technically it was over the limit. It measure 31" and he said it shouldn't be more than 30". He said that the 30" was so the fender height would not be more than waist high. He was a nice guy and passed me but I have never heard of this. I only know of the formula using track and wheelbase. He then went on to praise my jeep and tell me how he wants one. BTW I have 3-1/4" lift and am sitting on 33"s.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Lifts, inspections, how they measure.

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

yup there is a formula out there Im sure someone would post. I take off my 35s and slap on stock tires (29s?) and look comical going down the road to the inspection station. some places are more lenient than others and wont give you guff over a mildly lifted jeep on 33s.... Search the forum and there are a few threads on the topic...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

What state? Here's the MA law
(12) Altered Vehicle Heights. The original manufacturers specified height of motor vehicles with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less shall not be altered by elevating or lowering the chassis or body by more than two inches, except that 4-wheel drive motor vehicles with a original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less may be altered in accordance with the provisions of 540 CMR 6.00. The Registrar may periodically provide approved altered vehicle height specifications for said 4-wheel drive vehicles. Any motor vehicle altered, modified, or changed beyond the aforementioned two inches, or the Registrar's approved altered height specifications, shall be rejected.
The basic law is max 2" change except for 4-wheel drives, which fall under 540 CMR 6.00

Here's 540 CMR 6.00:
540 CMR: REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES

540 CMR 6.00: ALTERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE HEIGHT
Section
6.01: Purpose
6.02: Scope and Applicability
6.03: Definitions
6.04: General Requirements
6.05: Maximum Combined Mechanical and Tire Lift
6.06: Violations
6.01: Purpose
(1) The purpose of 540 CMR 6.00 is to provide rules and regulations for altering the height of four
wheel drive motor vehicles by elevating or lowering the chassis or body more than two inches above
or below the original manufacturer's height.
6.02: Scope and Applicability
(1) 540 CMR 6.00 is adopted by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles under the authority of M.G.L.
c. 90, § 31 and pursuant to the provisions of M.G.L. c. 90, § 7P to regulate alterations to the height
of four wheel drive vehicles with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of not over
10,000 operated on any way as defined in M.G.L. c. 90, § 1.
6.03: Definitions
Four Wheel Drive Motor Vehicles: Any vehicle that is capable of providing torque to all four wheels.
Mechanical Lift: Modification of the chassis, suspension or body by any means exclusive of tires, rims,
and load, affecting the height of four wheel drive motor vehicles.
Original Equipment: Any items of motor vehicle equipment, including tires, which were installed in or
on a motor vehicle, or available by option for the particular vehicle from the original manufacturer at
the time of its delivery to the first purchaser.
Original Manufacturer: Any person engaged in the manufacture or assembly of motor vehicles for
delivery to the first purchaser.
Original Manufacturer's Height: The highest distance inclusive of the largest tires and highest suspension
available as standard or optional equipment for the particular vehicle from the original manufacturer.
The distance shall be measured between the lowest edge of the center line of the operator's door, or
to the lowest point where the door would meet the body on vehicles without doors, or to the lowest
point on the floor panel directly below the operator's position on vehicles designed without doors, and
the level surface on which the unladen vehicle rests, as determined by the Registrar.
Reconstructed Motor Vehicle: Any four wheel drive motor vehicle constructed or assembled
principally with used parts or components.
Wheel Base: The shortest distance between the center of the front and rear axles.
Wheel Track: The shortest distance between the centers of the tire treads on the same axle. On
vehicles having different axle widths, the measurement shall be made on the widest one. 540 CMR: REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES

6.04: General Requirements
(1) No motor vehicle shall be altered or modified in any way that may cause the vehicle body or
chassis to come in contact with the roadway, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause
the tires to come in contact with the body, chassis, or steering components under normal operation.
The horizontal plane, front to rear, shall not differ more than two inches.
(2) Alterations or modifications to the original braking, steering, or suspension system, which result
in the impairment of the safe operation of the motor vehicle, are prohibited. All replacement parts and
equipment used shall be designed and capable to perform the function or purpose for which it is
intended and shall be equal or greater in strength and durability than the original parts provided by the
original manufacturer.
(3) The wheel track may be increased by the use of tires and rims for a maximum total increase of four
inches beyond the original manufacturer's specification. The use of spacers to increase wheel track is
prohibited. Fractions shall be excluded in all measurements and final calculations.
6.05: Maximum Combined Mechanical and Tire Lift
(1) The maximum mechanical lift for four wheel drive motor vehicles shall be calculated by multiplying
the wheel base times the wheel track, and dividing the product by a safety factor of 2200: i.e., 92" w/b
x 58" w/t = 5336/2200 = 2" (maximum mechanical lift). The outside diameter of the largest tire size
available from the original manufacturer as standard or optional equipment for the particular motor
vehicle may also be increased up to an amount equal to maximum mechanical lift calculated.
(2) The maximum combined mechanical and tire lift shall be no greater than the sum of the maximum
mechanical lift and increased tire size calculated for the particular vehicle.
(3) Reconstructed motor vehicles shall be limited to the maximum combined lift allowed for the
particular chassis used, in accordance with the applicable provisions of 540 CMR 6.05(1) and (2), i.e.
a vehicle having a 65" track, 105" wheel base, and an original manufacturer's door height of 21" is
allowed a maximum combined lift of four inches above the original manufacturer's door height.
Accordingly, the lower edge of the door, door edge line or floor panel, as stipulated in the general
requirements of 540 CMR 6.00, of any unladen body mounted on such chassis may not exceed 25"
above the level surface upon which the vehicle rests.
(4) In doubtful cases, or in any case where the original manufacturer's specified height is not known
or available, or where a motor vehicle is assembled without using a particular body and/or chassis (i.e.
homemade), the Registrar shall determine the allowable maximum height and may issue a permit
authorizing the operation thereof.
(5) The Registrar shall periodically provide the specifications of approved maximum altered heights.
6.06: Violations
(1) Due to slight variances in production tolerances, violations must be in excess of one inch beyond
the Registrar's specifications of approved maximum altered heights.
(2) The Registrar, in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 90, § 22, shall suspend the
registration of any motor vehicle equipped, altered or modified in violation of 540 CMR 6.00, and shall
refuse to register any motor vehicle that the Registrar has reason to believe is equipped, altered or
modified in violation of 540 CMR 6.00.
REGULATORY AUTHORITY
540 CMR 6.00: M.G.L. c. 90, §§ 1, 7P and 31.
Any talk about fender height is nonsense. He needs to be able to tell you what the original height of a wrangler equipped with the highest suspension and biggest tires from the factory is, then work out the formula, and use that as a basis for pass / fail

If he passed you anyway I wouldn't worry too much about it, but you should know the actual law if you're going to drive a lifted vehicle.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
saf98tj

Unread post by saf98tj »

Thank you Don for sharing that. I am aware of the MA law which is why I thought it was strange the way he measured it. It made no sense to me.

Well in any case, I don't have to worry about it for another year! Just though i would share my experience.
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

Just thought I'd share… I went to a local mobil station and passed inspection today with a small lift, 34s and rubi flares that mostly cover the tires 8-) I was a little worried that I'd fail for tires (had 32s mounted before), but it's all good.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

Unread post by ASauer17 »

all depends on where you go.. I passed with flying colors with 4" lift and 35s :)
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

I don't think there's anywhere Kurt can go anymore! :lol:
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

del_TJ wrote:I don't think there's anywhere Kurt can go anymore! :lol:
Nope :lol:
Gave up on that ordeal last fall.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

I got my sticker yesterday, with the big tires on. The guy was more interested in why I have only driven 192 miles since last inspection than anything else. Kelly told him it was all off road...LOL.
The 30 mile roundtrip drive to the inspection station was the longest the 8 as been on pavement in a long time.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon