D-30 pinion seal

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

D-30 pinion seal

Unread post by Carl McFly »

My to-do list got a little longer, my front seal is weeping (that makes two of us :-x )

From what I read on-line, the trick to the '30 pinion seal change is to mark the lock nut and torque it back to the same location. And use some black RTV on the pinion when the new seal goes in

That about sum it up or are there gotcha's that I should know about?
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: D-30 pinion seal

Unread post by Kurt »

You got it.
Check the yoke for scoring from the old pinion seal.
If there is a groove in the pinion yoke it may leak again.
Also clean up the outside of the yoke with some emery cloth to get any rust, scale, crud off the seal surface.

Before dis-assembling check to see if there is any up/down or side to side movement of the yoke indicating work pinion bearings / incorrect pinion preload.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

tx Kurt! Adding that to my list for Saturday and on the bright side, now I really do 'need' that 1/2" drive, deep dish impact socket set at HF that's on sale for $20 :dance: You gotta find the silver lining, right?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

For twenty bucks I wouldnt drop them on the concrete ! Carl , What Kurt said ! If there is a tiny groove where the seal wore the yoke , They make a very thin sleeve to be pushed over the yoke and create a new seal surface. Cheaper than a new one ! Have at it dude ! FjR 68
del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

Cahhhl - I had a heck of a time getting my pinion nut off today. I ended up heating it a few times with a MAP torch until my impact wrench finally broke it free. Also, I picked up a pinion seal and a new nut from the Crown outlet in Canton for a whole $7.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

Carl - Weren't you the guy that couldn't really do anything on your Jeep when you joined BSJ? Just got to say I am amazed at the stuff you do now, blows my mind :music-rockout: I know I still can't do a fraction of what you do.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

del_TJ wrote:Cahhhl - I had a heck of a time getting my pinion nut off today. I ended up heating it a few times with a MAP torch until my impact wrench finally broke it free. Also, I picked up a pinion seal and a new nut from the Crown outlet in Canton for a whole $7.
Tony - good to know, TYVM. I have a MAP torch.... somewhere...... hope I don't need it :pray:

schwalby wrote:Carl - Weren't you the guy that couldn't really do anything on your Jeep when you joined BSJ? Just got to say I am amazed at the stuff you do now, blows my mind :music-rockout: I know I still can't do a fraction of what you do.
Yup, that was me! Didn't know a tie rod from a track bar. But BSJ membahs were like a family, pitching in and helping out their 'not to swift' cousin. The best way to show my appreciation was to learn from them and sometimes, I get to pay it forward :handgestures-thumbupright: and thanks for the kind words, Josh
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Where is the like button...