Brake tools

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Brake tools

Unread post by Baseshakers »

So the "new to me" rear 60 has some old brake lines, and I had to hand bend them during install. I need to pull the axle to do some work on it, so I was planning on making new brakes lines then. Since I have zero brake specific tools, I was hoping for some recommendation on flaring kits, forming kits, bending pliers, basically whatever specialty tools are recommended or required to do the job right. Also, any opinions on a brand of brake lines would be helpful. Thanks guys!
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Brake tools

Unread post by DDewar53 »

For flaring kits, I just got the cheapest one I could find. I've flared about 10 ends with it, with only one mess-up that I had to cut off and re-do. Take your time and follow the instructions carefully, and make sure everything is carefully aligned and you're good.

As far as other tools go, for disc brakes all you need is the correct socket, torx or hex wrench, and a big c-clamp unless you have one of those weird Ford setups that has the pins and needs to be aligned. For drums, get a good set of brake spring pliers and a good adjusting spoon. If you want you can get one of those hold-down spring compression tools, but I find them a waste of time. If you do have drum brakes, use good quality springs and small parts kits. The cheap ones are a pain, they don't fit well, they rust quickly, and I usually cut my fingers messing with them. Spending the extra coin on the small parts is worth it, in my opinion.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

I'd recommend going with the Copper/Nickel brake line material.
MUCH easier to bend and flare. Plus it'll never rust out. You can easily form it by hand.
More expensive that steel line but well worth it in my book.

Make sure to to get a double flaring tool. Very easy to use. Do a couple of practice flares on some scrap line to get the hang of it. Need to get the right amount of flaring on the final step, not too little and not too much.
Don't forget to put the fittings on BEFORE you flare. :)

I've been using the same basic double flaring kit I got from Autozone years ago. Works great.

You might want to get some flare nut wrench's too. Regular open ended wrench's tend to slip and round off the fittings.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

What Kurt said ! My DOUBLE flaring set is FORCE by Chicago Pneumatic . Very easy to use and reliable. Sample a few flares of the same line you are using. The insert (size) for your lines is very critical to having the right size flare. You might have to use the deburing tool on your tubing tool to get the insert in the line. Make sure you put the fitting on first and in the right direction. After you do one you will see just how easy it is . For bending I have both a roll block (stationary) and a set of bending pliers. Make sure you buy some thing that does a couple sizes as its not just for brake lines. Roller pliers are great as the tubing bends it rolls and dont get the imprint of the die like you see on some exhaust pipes.
DDewar53

Kurt wrote:I'd recommend going with the Copper/Nickel brake line material.
MUCH easier to bend and flare. Plus it'll never rust out. You can easily form it by hand.
More expensive that steel line but well worth it in my book.

Make sure to to get a double flaring tool. Very easy to use. Do a couple of practice flares on some scrap line to get the hang of it. Need to get the right amount of flaring on the final step, not too little and not too much.
Don't forget to put the fittings on BEFORE you flare. :)

I've been using the same basic double flaring kit I got from Autozone years ago. Works great.

You might want to get some flare nut wrench's too. Regular open ended wrench's tend to slip and round off the fittings.
Good point, Kurt, and one that I forgot to mention. Spend a little $ on this, the cheap ones will round the fittings as quickly as a regular open-end wrench. Get a good quality set, don't scrimp on these. I have a set of the better quality NAPA crows foot line wrenches, they give you plenty of flexibility and access to tight places.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Baseshakers

ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Kurt wrote:Don't forget to put the fittings on BEFORE you flare. :)

Been there. "Son of a *****!" :lol:
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
DDewar53

Baseshakers wrote:Awesome, thanks for al the input guys! So I'm looking at :
Double flare kit: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 864647_0_0_
Is a double flare kit with cutter worthwhile? http://www.sears.com/otc-deluxe-double- ... ockType=G1
Brake lines: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance- ... 4/10002/-1
Brake wrenches: http://www.sears.com/tekton-3-pc-flare- ... ockType=G1
Mini tube bender? http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth ... 94571.html

How much is the auto zone double flare kit? I don't think the Sears kit is worth it unless you're going to work in a brake shop or a fab shop somewhere. The AZ kit with a $3.00 tubing cutter should be fine.

On the other hand, those wrenches you bookmarked are not good quality stuff. If you noticed, they're some off brand, not even Craftsman.

You'll want to spend more like $10 EACH on these wrenches, not $10 for a set of 3. Also, I don't know what you're putting this axle in, but some TJs use metric brake fittings.

Jusm my opinion, FWIW

Robert A. Heinlein
Baseshakers

The autozone one is pretty cheap, under $20 I believe.
Good to know about the wrenches. I'll keep looking around. Your opinion is why I posted, so keep 'em coming!
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

I'm of the opinion you should go ahead and start converting to far superior A/N fittings and should buy the appropriate flaring tool for that rather than the standard 45* double flares. Slowly you can convert your entire rig to A/N's as you rust through/break your old hard lines.

Of course, I'm not suggesting this so I can use your tools when I replumb my JK. You know the deal, when something's broke you want to upgrade :lol:
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Ryan I have a cheapo double flare kit if you want to borrow - see - try it. It's part of my 'limp it off the trails and just get it home' kit
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Baseshakers

Still trying to find a good set of brake line wrenches online... any thoughts?

I also need to determine what this soft line is:

I have a bunch of the stuff on order, thanks everyone. McFly, I'll take you up on that offer!
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Can't see where it attach's to the caliper. Banjo fitting I assume.
If so you just need to get a hose with the right banjo size and one that will mate to the caliper without hitting the caliper casting.

Summit Racing has some nice generic stainless flex lines with banjo fittings on them that out to work.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Ryan, if you're using steel line a little tip is to anneal the end before flaring. I heat the end up 'till it's red, let it cool then flare away!
And the AZ/GreatNeck flare tool set isn't too bad!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Looks like a GM 1/2 ton front line.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005