Jon W

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
nostaw

Jon W

Unread post by nostaw »

This is my '98 XJ, purchased in late 2003, and it is my first Jeep. I've been a BSJ member since 2004, which is when I got into wheeling. Since then the XJ has seen a lot of changes...

Vital statistics:
  • * 1998 XJ "Cherokee Sport", I6 4.0L, AW-4, & NP231 w/ SYE + front & rear custom driveshafts
    * 4.5" RE coils + RE adjustable control arms (front) w/ BDS 3" leaf springs + RE 1.5" shackles (back)
    * RE HD track bar, Currie HD steering, PSC HD steering box + MORE steering box brace + C-ROK XJ steering reinforcement
    * 34x10.50x15 SS LTBs on Bassett Racing wheels
    * Front TJ D44 w/ 4.56 gears + ARB & alloy shafts, Rear C8.25 w/ 4.56 gears + ARB w/ alloy shafts
    * Custom 4x4 Fab front & rear bumpers, Double-tube XJ rock rails
    * DPG offroad belly skid + rear bumpstops
    * WARN M8000 winch
    * Home-brew OBA (electric)
    * Hand cut fenders + TJ fender flares
    * Sunroof
    * Misc body damage
My second Jeep is this 2007 WK, which I've kept almost completely stock and isn't intended to see dirt (other than the occasional trail head parking area). I bought this Jeep as a replacement for an '07 Toyota Highlander in early 2009 in order to head to Moab, UT with BSJ. 99% of the year the WK is a great grocery getter for driving around town and taking the family places. However, this WK serves double duty, and spends the other 1% of the year towing it's older cousin around.
Vital statistics:
  • * 2007 WK, Grand Cherokee Limited
    * 3.0L CRD engine, Quadra-Trac II
    * Electric brake controller
    * DashHawk OBD-II monitor
    * 2005 Superior 7k lb GTW car trailer
    * Reese 10k lb weight distributing hitch system w/ sway control
ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Jon W

Unread post by ChrisD »

How does the WK hold up towing the trailer with the XJ on it??
nostaw

Re: Jon W

Unread post by nostaw »

Chris wrote:How does the WK hold up towing the trailer with the XJ on it??
The WK with the CRD is a great tow vehicle.... I towed a fully loaded trailer (XJ + spare parts) + personal gear my father and I for 2 weeks, out to Moab and back. The WK was getting the same or better mileage as Dean E's 35" SS equipped LJ Rubicon gasser, but with ~3x the weight (figure his LJ weighs a max of ~4500 lbs, the loaded WK gross weight was 12500 - 13000). I had a few fuel system problems (since fully resolved) which probably hurt my fuel economy a bit too, but I still got 10-14 mpg (depending on speed / terrain). In the mountains around Colorado I had to slow down to a top speed of 45-50 mph on the major 6% - 8% grades, but otherwise I had no trouble cruising at 70-80 mph over 99% of the highways with a full load of gear.

The weight distributing hitch makes a huge difference smoothing out the ride and keeping the trailer and WK's suspensions evenly loaded -- definitely recommend it it anyone planning to tow a heavy load with a Jeep.

On other occasions I've towed an 18' Sea Ray, which probably weighs ~3000 lbs (boat + trailer), and the noticed the mileage drop off a little (~17 mpg instead of 20-22 mpg).

JW