Shock Valving

ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Shock Valving

Unread post by ArticRubi »

I'm moving forward with a long-arm upgrade with 3-link rear through RK, also going with a front coilover conversion. "Off the shelf" valving for all of their shocks is a 60/40, which I don't think is what I'm really going to want for rock crawling. I know ideally I'm going to want a firmer rebound than compression, but I'm a bit up in the air about what to run. While just about all of my offroad activities are rock crawling, it's no trailer queen. I drive it to the trail, and quite a bit in DD situations, so I need to find a happy medium between the two.

Front coilovers are 2 5/8" with remote reservoir, I am considering a 40/60 valve job there. Thoughts?

Rear shocks are a 2" with remote reservoir, due to the smaller diameter I'm thinking of going a bit stiffer, say 50/70 there. Again, thoughts?

Would you think going further apart on compression/rebound might not be best for the DD situations? Example: a 40/70 for the coilovers and 50/80 for the rear shocks.

Rig weighs in at a bit over 5,000 pounds when full of trail gear.
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Shock Valving

Unread post by ChrisD »

Why not contact the company that builds the shocks to see what they say?
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Shock Valving

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Jeebus. Maybe some of the coil spring dudes might be able to chime in. I think I changed to my Heckethorns about 12 years ago and they've worked well everywhere.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "rock crawling" around our neck of the woods as it is typically much faster due to being slippery than, say out in Moab.

I would call Rock Krawler and get their opinion with the setup you have.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ArticRubi

Agreed the skinny pedal definitely is in play a lot here with the slick rock, still fairly certain I'll be wanting a stiffer rebound than compression, yes? Still waiting to hear back from RK, their shock guy was out at EJS and then down at Jeep Beach so apparently has a lot of catching up to do.

Wondering if a stiffer overall configuration is not a bad way to go considering we're pretty quick over the rocks.
40 being "Light-Medium" 60 being "Medium-Firm" 80 being "Extra-Firm"
Maybe being a little closer to balanced on compression/rebound wouldn't be a bad idea, say a 50/60 on the larger coilover and 60/70 for the rear shocks.
ArticRubi

Yeah so it looks like there was a typo on their website, the 60/40 that was listed as their stock valving is supposed to read 40/60, and this will be the ideal setup for me unless I want to firm up to 50/70. Thinking I'll go ahead with the 40/60 for starters, a revalve job is pretty cheap, if I feel like I'm hammering on it too hard I can always bump to the 50/70 configuration.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I don't think you're going to even notice the difference between a 40/60 or a 60/40. It simply won't matter on the trails you're going to run here, especially if you plan to roll on 40's.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005