Drum to disk conversion

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Drum to disk conversion

Unread post by Frank »

Anyone interested in a documented disk conversion on a D-44 ? Im starting it sat. 02-06-10 FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Drum to disk conversion

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Not I. I'll take my 11" drums over dinky disks.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
norstar
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by norstar »

Frank, what disc are you going to use? Conversion on the front or rear?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Im using 11" rotors from a Lincoln and Elderodo calipers with a parking brake for the rear. FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Frank, I just sold a pair of Eldo calipers with the parking brake. Do you have the hard-to-find levers to actuate the e-brake?

I bought mine from: http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index.html

FWIW, 11" rotors are WAY overkill for stopping 33's-35's. I recommend buying an adjustable prop valve from Summit racing to help make dialing in the rear easier. My YJ on 38's stops on a dime with CJ rotors and 11" Waggy rear drums. I also didn't need to modify the master cylinder.

Oh, BTW, I have Ryans Crock Pot cover.....
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
mightymeglet
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Unread post by mightymeglet »

I tried getting a kit for my 86 D44, but 4wd hardware said there was no kit for my year. :(
Account no longer in use.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988

Unread post by johnsxj »

mightymeglet wrote:I tried getting a kit for my 86 D44, but 4wd hardware said there was no kit for my year. :(
There's just no kit from THEM :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Do some research, measure your backing plate mounting pattern and stand off distance and start cruising the web!

I've been working on figuring out a system for the Exploder 8.8 to get rid of the POS internal e-brake and use a caliper with the built in brake :ugeek:
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Ok ! First , Joe : Do you have a booster ? I dont . Meg : YES there is a kit for an 86 D-44 , I just installed it ! Its well built and easy to install. I mean EASY ! I got calipers complete for $68. The kit has the option for braided lines and the adapter for the E-brake. The company has em for 8.8 , 9.25 10&12 bolt , 9" , and more. So the reason I did this is two pair of rear shoes per season vs. the gain in stop and wear. Now , before you get in a tizzy askin all kinds of questions , let me tell you that me and Doug know all the details, Who,what,where,how much, but I cant tell ya or hell kill me ! Oh allrite ! stop whinning. Its in all your off road mags. tsmmfg.com , Talk to Skip , mention me and B S . Told him I would try them and if good , others will call. Total for the kit was $403 delivered and his calipers are $300 but they are new. My mistake They are 11.5" rotors ! Thank you lincoln Continental,and 79 to 85 Eldorado calipers. They also have T-case brakes or diff brakes if your just after that ! There I said it ! sorry Doug I spilled the beans ! FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

UPDATE : So after tinkering all winter , (again) I took my maiden,(again) voyage with my new rear disk brakes . I was and am disappointed ! I guess I made the mistake of convincing myself that 4 wheel disk would stop better overall and surly when they were wet . The kit was a piece of crumb cake to install. I forgot and overlooked the fact I dont have a brake booster , and therefore , the reason no increase in stopping power.. Still I can enjoy no additional brake service for the year , maybe more. So for those considering the swap , ????? FjR68
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

Frank wrote:... My mistake They are 11.5" rotors ! ...
Frank, what rim size do you use? Will a 15" rim fit over the the 11.5" rotor with the caliper on and what backspace? Thanks.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Jon: Yes I have 15x8 rims with 12.5 tires. The cool thing about this kit , is they give you two or three positions that you can mount the caliper. I chose the highest one of course. In this position you have to remove the caliper to bleed because of the angle. Never having done this before , It took more time to remove stuff than to install the new . Now that the brakes have seated, I am feeling the increase in stopping power ! The best part is it dont fade after getting wet ! Still Im going to go booster. Hope that answers it for you. Great kit, simple and quality. FjR68
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

Thanks Frank! A couple more questions. :mrgreen:
Can you buy your rotors locally or do you have to get them from tsm? what make and model if locally?

BTW, I've just added my avatar so people will not mistaken me for Jon. ;)
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Sorry Dude ; You can buy from him the dimpled and slotted (not drilled through) better so they wont crack , the plain ones , his calipers (new only) or he will in your kit or on the phone tell you which local parts fit the kit. Skip is very nice to talk to and do business with. I called with a problem , he had question also and talked me through it. He also asked if I had any further issues to please call him back. Nice to know he will be there for you. I can walk into any parts stores and get 79 Lincoln rear rotors as they are 5 on 5.5 . The calipers I chose to use are 82 Caddy Eldorado rear with parking brake , also at parts stores. So yes to local parts. His kits fit the rear axle you have so if your going to change it or have done so , let him know. FjR68
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

Good stuff. Thanks! I have a set of dual BP Alloy USA D44 shafts. I want to use 5 on 5.5 and I'm pretty sure I need 11-1/2" rotors otherwise they would fit.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

With his kit you can buy just the brackets or the hole thing . I like mine. Thinking of going to a booster to help in the leg department. Good luck. FjR68