Don't Bogart that joint my friend

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Don't Bogart that joint my friend

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Ball joints and u-joints - I'm replacing all of them on my million-mile XJ and the first place I looked was AZ but then I looked at NAPA and before I open up my wallet, I'd like some opinions

Considering this trail beast will see most of its time on the street with occasional off-roading on "easy" trails, do you think AZ parts are OK, or would you go with NAPA or would you do something else? (and when I say AZ, I don't mean the $9, 2-year warranty stuff)

And I'm pretty sure I asked this before (on the old forum) but u-joints with grease fittings vs sealed..... what's a better u-joint and why?
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Don't Bogart that joint my friend

Unread post by johnsxj »

The AZ lifetime joints are fine for how you plan to use the XJ.
Moog joints are great but $$$$$$ $100+ to do one side of the axle vs. $70-$75 for the AZ's.
You're right about the $9 jobs!!!!!!!! They last one and a half long days of wheeling and 5.5K highway miles!

Sealed joints are a little stronger due to not being drilled for a zirk fitting.
Greaseable joints are nice because you can re-grease the joint to flush out water and crap after being in that mud hole.
As to which is better, you're back into the world of "BFG vs. Interco", auto vs. stick shift, Jeep vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Ford
I've run both types, and they all seem to last about the same amount of time. But like the ball joints, stay clear of the $5.00 specials!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Don't Bogart that joint my friend

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Made in China [ ]

Made in USA [X]
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member