Regearing my Rubi

ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Regearing my Rubi

Unread post by ArticRubi »

So I have a project tentatively scheduled for the end of October, but the truth is, it is definitely over my head. I am upgrading to 35" tires with my 3.5" lift, so I'm regearing to 4.88. I picked up the 4.88 ring and pinion set, and also got the rebuild kit for both front and rear. I really don't want to pay a shop to do this, I would much rather get some help (or more accurately, be the helper) on this project. I am assuming that getting involved in a project like this it would be a good idea to get a service tech's manual for my Jeep. I have a lot of professional experience in troubleshooting and installing complex electromechanical equipment, and I'm a quick study. Sooooo.....any volunteers?

Thanks for the consideration guys,
Duncan
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Regearing my Rubi

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

It will be a heck of a lot easier to either remove the axles or get a lift. Some of the guys here go to "You do it" (<-or something) in Nashua NH where they have tech days including access to a lift. Setting up axle gears is more art then science, but Dana 44's are pretty straight forward and have been around since dirt.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Is this a 2012? May want to wait if so as the after market support for the 12s has not caught up yet and new gears will put you into limp mode. May have resolved it already...
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Yep, found this:

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58684

Looks like it's the ESP and ABS junk that gets affected due to the new tranny.

Too bad you can't buy a stripped Jeep anymore without all the doo-dee gizmo's. I drive fine on my own. I don't need a computer to put the brakes on for me. Sheesh.
ArticRubi

Nah, I'm driving an '08.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Ah, that's right. The other new dude had a '12.

Plus, it says 2008 in yer sig. *duh*
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

On the WK re-gearing causes the computer to go nuts because of the mismatch between the tire rotation and the engine RPM / transmission gear... It a real PITA. Apparently you've got to get a tranny controller reprogrammed so it knows about the non-stock gear ration in the axle.

I don't think the JKs have those sorts of problems... Do they?

JW
ArticRubi

I got an aftermarket programmer by Superchips, it allows you to enter in the tire size you're running, accurate to a 1/10th of an inch, and any axel ratio between 0.00 and 10.00 in increments of .01. I haven't installed anything yet, but I'll update when I do.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

ArticRubi wrote:I got an aftermarket programmer by Superchips, it allows you to enter in the tire size you're running, accurate to a 1/10th of an inch, and any axel ratio between 0.00 and 10.00 in increments of .01. I haven't installed anything yet, but I'll update when I do.
Good to know you've got that covered... From what I've read on the WK it is actually the transmission controller, not just the ECU that needs to be reprogrammed. A few people do it, but the commercial boxes aren't capable.... Not many regear the WK anyway, since you can't get a R&P for the front diff... The ones I've read about are 2WD and usually they're swapping down to lower axle ratios for better MPG with the CRD engine.

JW
Dan+kids

Unread post by Dan+kids »

Hi, just started thinking about regearing my 08 Rubi. I see this thread is a couple months old, have you learned more? I have a long list of mods I want to do myself but for regreaing I am looking for someone to do it. Everything says find someone that has regeared other JKs.

Anyway please keep us posted on how this is going?
Dan & Rio
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Dan+kids wrote: I have a long list of mods I want to do myself but for regreaing I am looking for someone to do it. Everything says find someone that has regeared other JKs.

If you're having it done by someone, I have to recommend my old friend Lou Kiklis from Elias4WD. :handgestures-thumbupright:

http://www.elias4wdcenter.com/
IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994

Unread post by IronTortoise »

I see your location shows Newton and Hull. If you are looking for someone closer to Hull I would recomend Bob Toccio of Pauls Transmision in Hingham. He has done all my gear work for me. He re-geared my YJ and built my 8.8 for me. I have never had an issue with his work.
Hoodoo Man

ZAEDOCK wrote:
Dan+kids wrote: I have a long list of mods I want to do myself but for regreaing I am looking for someone to do it. Everything says find someone that has regeared other JKs.

If you're having it done by someone, I have to recommend my old friend Lou Kiklis from Elias4WD. :handgestures-thumbupright:

http://www.elias4wdcenter.com/

Mitchell diff in shreswsbury did my rubi axles front and rear for what Lou quoted for one axle. I love Lou but his regears cost a mint IMHO
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Dan+kids

Unread post by Dan+kids »

Thanks, I will call and get quotes.
Dan & Rio
Hoodoo Man

Just make sure if you have anything like Lube locker seals you tell them as the clowns in the shop @ Mitchell tossed mine.. :angry-cussingblack:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..