Cherokee Nation

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Cherokee Nation

Unread post by Carl McFly »

To my XJ brothas out there.... need some advice please

Lookin for front tow hooks and found these http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/front-h ... 5Qodhywy3A

From what I could tell, different manufacturers all have similar stuff, they're all pretty much the same

Or ARE THEY!!??!! :o

What do you recommend? Anything I should run (not walk) away from?
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Cherokee Nation

Unread post by johnsxj »

They're all basically the same.
You just want to make sure to get a set that have the long mounts (like in your link) to distribute the load better.
Also, the O.E. tow hook brackets used an L shaped brace to tie in the front cross member. You MIGHT be able to get those from the stealership or pick up some heavy angle iron and fab them up!
I've seen some mounts (Tomkin I think) that just use the stock three bumper mounting bolts that could tweak your uni-body on a good side pull.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Carl -

I have a front mounting 2" receiver for an XJ ('97+) that would work as well or better that I'd like to sell... If you've planned to come to Nashua to the wrench-fest you'd be welcome to look at / buy it then... :)

I'll sell it for $75 (costs a lot more new and it is in pretty clean / rust free condition)... Installation requires drilling a couple new holes, but it isn't hard.

I prefer the receiver because it bolts the front end together and doesn't leave you pulling on just one side of the unibody.

JW
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

John - thank you

Jon - I'll be in Nashua and yeah, I'd like to see that please
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I don't remember who makes mine, but they're beefy. They bolt to the three bumper bolts and have an almost frame size strip of plate that ties into two or three holes on the frame rail in the fenderwell. Whatever you get, make sure it's 100% grade A beef.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Carl McFly wrote:Jon - I'll be in Nashua and yeah, I'd like to see that please
Great... I've got it sitting in my garage... I used it on my XJ for 1-2 years before I got a winch bumper. When we're closer to the weekend let me know what time you'd like to come by, if I can't come to the wrenching (have to see about child care).

JW