New CJ7 rider!

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
WH710
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

New CJ7 rider!

Unread post by WH710 »

Hey folks,
My name is Will and I'm a proud new cj7 6 cylinder owner. Hopefully in some time I will be able to get out with all of you and hit the trails. I figured I would get an older jeep so that my new one doesn't get all beat up :) Does BSJ have a lot of cj7's wheeling?
I will be building the jeep up to be in working order again (this one sat for a few years), and I've attached my list of things that I will be putting in with a mechanic who I have become good friends with. My question is, do group members come together over a case of beer and do mods to their jeeps? I want to LEARN all about my jeep, not just send it to a mechanic.

Things that I'll be adding to get it ready for the road...
6 spark plugs, 1 fuel filter, 1 ignition wires, 1 battery, 2 lower ball joints heavy duty, 2 lower ball joints heavy duty, 2 rear axle seals, 1 rear pinion seal, 6heavy duty universal joints for axles and drive shafts, 1 brake master cylinder, 1 front brake pads, 1 rear brake shoes, (2 front rotors and 2 rear drums only if we are unable to resurface the ones that are on the truck, 2 front calipers, rear brake hardware, 2 rear wheel cylinders, 2 rear brake adjusters, 3 parking brake cables, 1 power steering pump, 1 power steering box (you can go stock or an off road version) 1 oil pan and rear main seal

Things to get it ready for the trail...
wheels and tires 33 12.50 r15 $600
4 inch lift $439.
boomarang shackels $110
steering stabilizer $50
Weber carb $350
Pace setter header $350
universal muffler w pipe and turn down for more clearance $150
I want the biggest, baddest trail island rig there is (still staying semi road legal). My goal was to put 35s or bigger on the rig, but I am now understanding that to do that I would have to replace drive train and re gear the jeep... the 2 piece rear axle was ripped out and replaced with a one piece axle. My question... How big of tires can I go without getting too pricy w/ regearing and new driveshafts? is it really only 33's?

Second question- What would be a reasonable price for labor to do the work with me? I want someone who will teach me as we go along so that I can fix the jeep when I am in trouble. any suggestions / price figures?

PS- all prices are just prices that I have been quoted.

Thanks so much guys, can't wait to get on the trails with you, cant wait to get some mud on this rig.

Cheers,

Will
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: New CJ7 rider!

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Welcome to the forum will!
Do you know what axles are under your rig? D35 D30? If you can share some pictures we can help ID them, also its good to know what you have for axle gears. As great as 35s and bigger are I didn't start breaking until I went to 35s and that is when the money really starts to flow out of your pockets. If you don't have any seat time you probably don't want to go too big and get tippy on the narower track of the CJs. I would say start with 33s and grow your rig as you need to, also a jeep may be ok with 33s but when you go to 35s for sure you will need to regear to keep moving on the highway up hills and such.

there are a few CJs in our club so Im sure we can help you.

Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
WH710
Jeep Year: 1985

Unread post by WH710 »

oops sorry, I have a D30 on the front and a D44 on the rear. I get what your saying about larger tires, etc. I might as well run the 33's and see how it goes. I won't know what the gearing is until I open up the difs. The person who I got the jeep from said that he re-geared the jeep to match the front axle when he replaced the rear. Not sure if that helps... Is $1k fair for all of this work being done? It sounded very respectable to me, but just wanted to check and see.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Hi Will, welcome to the forum.

A CJ7 makes a great wheeling rig. There are a few folks here who have 'em. One even drove his to Moab, UT a couple of years ago.

Regarding your upgrades and repairs, they should be fairly cheap and easy to install. Your pricing for the Lift and tires seems a little shy though (unless they're used). 35's typically go for a couple hundred a pop. 33's are pretty close. In my years of wheeling, 33's have been a great all around size for a good street / trail rig. Besides gearing, running greater than a 33 on your front Dana 30 would increase the chance of breaking the smaller Spicer 260-X u-joints that all CJ7's had. Your rear Dana 44 from a 1986 CJ7 is a stout axle though. There are plenty of aftermarket companies who offer front alloy axle and stub shafts that accommodate the larger Spicer 760-X.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Hello Will : I run a 74 CJ-5 and am on 35s. With 4.56 and a 4x1 in the T-case. I started with 32s for 5 or 6 yrs. I went most place the 35s went . (MOST) Its more your experiance and size of the vehicle that gets you through. Sometime its the line you choose or just plain luck. Youll have a blast ! Dont worry about what you have right now as it will change as you want to try more challenging stuff. Thats what winter is for ! Welcome to the club. FjR68
Eve
Jeep Year: 2001
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Eve »

Hi Will. I totally agree with Frank about the experience and lines being more important.

I am running 31's and no lift on my mostly stock TJ and can keep up pretty well. I've started runs with people with built jeeps that didnt' know me and listened as they complained about having a "stock" jeep on the run. Gotta say, it's a blast when by the end of the run I can not only keep up with them but am helping them out of a jam. I've also seen a lot of drivers not know how to handle their jeep because they built it before learning how to drive it and destroy it. They more experience you get the more you know what you want in a way that fits you.
Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Will : Eve is one of those people who has a bumper sticker that says "You can follow me but its gonna hurt ! " An incredable driver she is. Just try it and go from there. FjR68
84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984

Unread post by 84cj »

Welcome, I'm the guy with the 84CJ7 that drove out to Moab and back.

If your interested, I have set of brand new boomarang shackles http://www.rocky-road.com/jeepbonz.html and a weber 32/36 carb part#WK551for sale.

Send me an e-mail and I can send pics if your interested. curtismcneil@verizon.net

Curtis
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Doesn't look like he's been back.

Last visited: Mon Sep 19, 2011
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Id stay away from any webber carb ! I ran a Motocraft 2100 that would continue to run on its side. You could drive it for weeks and not have to adjust the carb. The webbers are to finicky to be reliable. Im running a Holley 390 / 4 bbl. right and soon converting to a stand alone Holley Projection unit . FjR68