Brand New Rubicon Owner - First Jeep

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Brad
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Brand New Rubicon Owner - First Jeep

Unread post by Brad »

Hi, my name is Brad, I just took ownership of my first Jeep, and am excited to join some upcoming runs, (if I can find the place where the info is!)

I live in Acton.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Brand New Rubicon Owner - First Jeep

Unread post by Frank »

Welcome Brad : Some one will contact you with all that you need. You can find the new membership form in this sec ,fill it out and mail it in. I think it discounted this late in the year. A Rubi is a great way to start. Do you have any experience ? Watch, ask questions, give it a whack ! Your ability grows about the same speed at which you spend money for goodies for the Jeep. No really, we all will help you with what ever you need. Thanks for looking at our club . You wont be disappointed . See you on the trail.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Welcome to the forum Brad. If you go to our main page baystatejeepers.com you can find the min requirements on one page and our membership form on the other. Its only 25 to join this time of year but there are still a few runs left this year and you dont need to renew until March and we will have a few runs before then. The main things your rubi wont have are a fire extinguisher, recovery strap and a CB. We just had a run yesterday and some members are headed to Rausch Creek at the end of the month so the next club run isnt until 10/15.... feel free to ask questions and again welcome to the forum. Care to share some pictures of your rig? :)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

Welcome and feel free to post any questions. :)
Brad

Unread post by Brad »

here are some pics of my rig. i really dont have any offroad experience, but am looking forward to getting out there!

my membership form is on the way, and I hope to get a run or two in this fall if poss.

thanks!
Attachments
jeep.jpg
jeep2.jpg
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Color me jealous! a 2012 Rubi that will see trail time!! :drool: :music-rockout:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Widow Maker
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Widow Maker »

Hello and welcome!
SteveB
Jeep Year: 1986
Jeep Model: MJ Comanche

Unread post by SteveB »

Welcome, love that color.
ZAEDOCK wrote:Jesus man, you're a Jeepn' psycho.
Brad

Unread post by Brad »

Could someone give me a little clue about how the runs work, and what I should be thinking about, given TOTAL inexperience? :-o

How many vehicles in a typical run, what is the format?
Can i bring my teenage daughter (who likes my crazy antics)?
Are there different levels of runs, to build up confidence?
Do you know what the October event is already?
Do I need mods to be able to participate eg bigger than 32" tires?
I have the factory rear bumper. Is that ok, or do I need one with tow hooks? (I have tow hooks in front)

Thanks!
mightymeglet
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Unread post by mightymeglet »

How many vehicles in a typical run, what is the format? the rig number changes run to run, I don't think this club will go out with less than 3 just in case something happens, and if it does we will not leave you in the woods to fend for your self. That was something I look for in a club.
Can i bring my teenage daughter (who likes my crazy antics)? Yes you can, but just warning you we have some strange but innocent guys in this club.
Are there different levels of runs, to build up confidence? Yes there are, with out mentioning trail names there is a pay to play place in CT that helped me get my confidence up when I got my second TJ. There are some places I won't go because its to hard for me. Most trails have some type of label that lists the trail usually something like 33 and up with a locker or winch, but there are others that are 33 and under.
Do I need mods to be able to participate eg bigger than 32" tires? yes you can, but you may end up scraping up your under side. I would suggest getting skid plates and lots of them.
I have the factory rear bumper. Is that ok, or do I need one with tow hooks? (I have tow hooks in front)
You need a rear tow point just for situations where you need to tug someone or if you need one going back. You also need a tow strap, fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

Welcome, I take my time getting to know a club and making sure I agree with the way they wheel and just the attitudes of the people. That being said I am in this club and have enjoyed every minute of it. Enjoy your JK!
Account no longer in use.
Brad

Unread post by Brad »

thanks for the info. sounds like i need to make some investments before i can get going. (what are ski plates? attached to the undercarriage)

any tips on how to add an avatar pic that is suitable size? 8-)
88jeepxj
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 88jeepxj »

skid, as in heavy duty metal plates that skid over rocks and stumps to protect the fragile bits under the Jeep. With a Rubicon you are very well prepared from the factory, but there is always room for improvement. I don't have a Wrangler so I'll leave the specifics to the other guys.

She is a very pretty Jeep. A lot of the time we wheel in places with "go arounds" that are less difficult, but there will be some times you'll have to drive over some rough stuff. Without scaring you, your Jeep will get scratched and dinged. That's off-roading. You just have to accept that. The only time you can wheel without damage is on the beach and in the sand dunes. Other than that Mother nature made some very strong things called rocks...they like metal :)

Hope to see you at a run, let us know if you have any questions.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Brad wrote:thanks for the info. sounds like i need to make some investments before i can get going. (what are ski plates? attached to the undercarriage)

any tips on how to add an avatar pic that is suitable size? 8-)

The only real investments you'll need, when starting out with a Rubicon, will be a tow strap, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and a CB.

Your 'Con has what it needs mechanically. I believe the only extra skid you might want to think about before hitting the trail is one for the Evap canister.
I hear the factory one is very thin. You can google it to get some more info (key words *jk evap skid*).

Welcome to Jeep'n.

Regarding your daughter, mine pretty much grew up with the club and is driving the trails on her own. The last trail work day I did, I rode shotgun the whole time.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Brad

Unread post by Brad »

ok i will order the evap canister skid plate.

and i guess i will wheel with the factory 32 in tires to start and see what happens.
Brad

Unread post by Brad »

any suggestions regarding "beginner" offroading experiences?

are there any events i should be investigating in addition to club runs?