Shameless plug for U-Do-It in Nashua

You can talk about anything here
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Shameless plug for U-Do-It in Nashua

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Made another visit to U-Do-It http://www.udoitautoworks.com/and got my Monstah cat-back bolted on. The guys that run this place really impress me. They charge reasonable rates for a bay with a lift and they offer a hand if you need it. Used their Sawz-All to cut off my muffler and when I couldn't get to the flange bolts, they show up with torches and cut / melted / air hammered them out. Those bolts didn't stand a chance. Drove out an hour and a half after I drove in, it only cost me $40 AND I took my time. Brought my own tools but used theirs. How can you go wrong!?!

Heading up there tomorrow to do a brake job, there's nothing like a warm garage with lifts and tools. Maybe this is what heaven is like.... Image

And it would be a perfect place for a wrenchfest if someone.......... I dunno who...... but maybe SOMEONE could use a LockRite installed before the NEA snow run..... ;) .....just sayin, yo....
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Eve
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2001

Re: Shameless plug for U-Do-It in Nashua

Unread post by Eve »

OK - fine. What Carl is subtly (not!) hinting at is this...

I've been told that if I have either a winch or a locker installed I can play with the big boys and girls and go on the NEA snow run. Since I don't have a winch or a bumper to put it on, and I do have a LockRite on my front seat, I've decided to go with the locker. Thought about trying it myself but was told maybe not such a good idea, sooooo.....

I'm biting the bullet and asking if anyone would be up for a wrenchfest before the snow run - if there's time, I also have a kilby gas skid that needs to go on as well...

Oh, and yes, of course there's food involved!!
Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Not to hijack but i need to drop a lockrite in too. :D Id be happy to help Eve if I can get some help on mine. Also i most likley can get a lift for free from my neighbor in his heated garage (he has an escavating company and all sorts of air tools etc to work on his suff.) More than happy to pay a few bucks and meet in Nashua too if I can get in on this... If its fairly easy to do Im also happy to just watch and help on the install and do my own later. ordered the locker last week and anxiously waitng on its arrival....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Eve

Unread post by Eve »

Works for me - I'm not attached to the garage, just the heat!! And of course I don't mind throwing your locker into the mix!! :)
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Depending on when it is, I'd be willing to lend a hand either in Nashua of JP's friends garage. Although not absolutely necessary I would suggest that both of you pick up a Lube Locker gasket for your diff cover. http://www.quadratec.com/products/52416 ... lemerchant They're like $15 or $20 and are reusable, personally I just hate scraping RTV off of gasket surfaces.

Also not necessary but beneficial if you find yourself in deep water are after-market front axle tube seals like these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ALY-11102

While you're at it, it might be a good time to get a diff cover or guard like one of these. http://www.rokmen.com/products/differen ... overs.html
http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet/Ca ... tial+guard
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
Hoodoo Man

next sat or sun work for me, I do have a thing Sat night and Id need to leave by 5 or so... as I understand it if you get lucky its only an hour or so to drop it in so hopefully that will give us plenty of time if we start at say 10 or so... that work for you Eve?

thanks
Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
SidewaysTim

I can be available on one of those days.
Formerly FortyFour
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

How long does it take to install the locker??

I am definitely going to tag along for this one, so I know what to do when installing my locker (according to the wife, drop ceiling for the basement before buying the locker)!!

Was going to sign up for the NEA run, but that's the same day as my son's b-day party.
Eve

Unread post by Eve »

Wanna go with Saturday - 10:00, I even have a rear dif cover in my kitchen! Maybe even a gasket, I have to look - if not I'll get one. Do you think we'll have time for my gas skid? If not I'll leave it in the kitchen - it's too heavy to keep moving around!!

Chris, welcome - bummer about the NEA date though!
Hoodoo Man

Hi Chris from what ive read the lockers go in anywhere from 1-4hrs. depends if you need to pull the full carrier etc. Recently re-read this from JPMagazine; http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html

Eve I have a big tube of RTV, changed my rear diff fluid a few weeks ago and poping the back diff is a few minute job at best, so we can pop the rear diff cover on no problem. I think the gas skid requires a near empty tank so you can drop it, although i havent tackeled that job as yet. my neigbor does have the jack support for when working on the lift so it may be a quick job to do that.... others thoughts?
1970 Jeepster- stock
SidewaysTim

Eve wrote:Wanna go with Saturday - 10:00, I even have a rear dif cover in my kitchen! Maybe even a gasket, I have to look - if not I'll get one. Do you think we'll have time for my gas skid? If not I'll leave it in the kitchen - it's too heavy to keep moving around!!

Chris, welcome - bummer about the NEA date though!
We can definitely do the two Lock Rights (Eve's is a rear, is JP's a front or rear?) but my only concern with the gas tank skid would be potentially breaking a strap and having to scrounge one up quickly enough to get your Jeep out of a borrowed or rented garage that day. Bring the skid and make sure your tank is as close to empty as possible and we'll see how it goes.
Formerly FortyFour
SidewaysTim

Once you guys have hashed out the details of location, time, and project list one of you should start an "Unofficial BSJ Wrenchfest" thread to see if anyone else wants to spectate or help.
Formerly FortyFour
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Tim - sounds like you've done this before!

Chris - when I did my install with Kurt's help it took maybe 3 hours. And I'm pretty sure that was with a lunch break and a little setback. But 2 - 3 hours is probably fair

Eve - the guys a U-Do-It said they get pretty busy on a Saturday, I don't know, I've only been there on Sundays

Jeff - you prolly want to get in on this, always good to have experienced help around!

When I was was there Friday they asked me again if there was any interest in BSJ renting out space for a club event. I think they meant the whole garage but I'm going there later today, I'll mention we maybe need 2 bays with lifts for 2 - 3 hours, see what they say. But I won't make any commitments, just see what they say

EDIT - re gas tank skid install, I did mine in about 2 hours and that was laying on my back on the street and having no iea what I was doing. Dito on the empty tank, that's real important
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Hoodoo Man

my locker is for the fornt as well, I appreciate the help very much!
1970 Jeepster- stock
Eve

Unread post by Eve »

OK - looks like it's sounding good -AND Carl warned me the tanks straps sooooo... I bought me a set - it's in my kitchen too!!

Jeff - you're choice on garage, do you need to talk to your friend before deciding?