Knock in the Steering

schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Knock in the Steering

Unread post by schwalby »

Found a weird knock in my steering the other day. You can turn the wheel right but once you turn it left about 20 degrees there is a distinct knock and then you can keep turning the wheel to the left. Turn the wheel right 20 degrees or more again and then left and you get the knock. It doesn't matter if you are full right or full left it is just when you turn about 20 degrees left after going right that it knocks. Going to check for all the normal lose parts but it seems weird how it is just when turning left and not at a defined point in the turn. It is like it hangs up or something?

No knock at all when turning right I can go from full lock left to full lock right with no knock.

anyone seen this?
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
norstar
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Knock in the Steering

Unread post by norstar »

I had similar steering issue after the Father's day run. I could turn full lock-lock from right to left without issue but there was a pop with just a little to the right at any steering position. It turned out to be a loosen track bar bolt on the axle side. Torqued it down to spec again and the pop is gone.
schwalby

Cool that will be the first botl i check.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
schwalby

Well everything seems pretty tight or at least I can't tighten anything any more then it is. Is it possibly the steering stabilizer could cause this? Mine looks to be leaking and is several years old.
Josh Schwalb
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988

Unread post by johnsxj »

Could be the problem. Take it off, turn the wheels and listen.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
COH143
Jeep Year: 1993
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by COH143 »

I have more than one knock in my steering although I am sure it has something to do with the bent tie rod and crushed / bent steering stabilizer from last weeks Killing Jeep Jamboree. Replacement parts arriving: new heavy duty tie rod/drag link, steering stabilizer, and PSC extreem kit. No money for tires now. Dang, its always something.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

When do you ever have issues with tires ? FjR68
COH143
Jeep Year: 1993
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by COH143 »

My tire issues include: 33's are too small especially for the places I manage to stick my Jeep, and I have so far ruined two of them. Replacements are expensive.
schwalby

Got the new steering stabilizer on and it certainly got rid of what I assumed was LTB DW. Still has some at higher speeds but much better ride over all. As for the knock I can't get it to make the noise any more.
Josh Schwalb
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

schwalby wrote:Got the new steering stabilizer on and it certainly got rid of what I assumed was LTB DW. Still has some at higher speeds but much better ride over all. As for the knock I can't get it to make the noise any more.
:handgestures-thumbupright: glad to hear it!
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988

Unread post by johnsxj »

schwalby wrote:Got the new steering stabilizer on and it certainly got rid of what I assumed was LTB DW. Still has some at higher speeds but much better ride over all. As for the knock I can't get it to make the noise any more.
Guess it was the stabilizer after all :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar:
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Are you highway capable now, or still limiting to less than 55?
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

johnsxj wrote:
Guess it was the stabilizer after all :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar:
Or this stabilizer can damp it down so it isn't an issue until higher speed...

JW
schwalby

Modeler wrote:Are you highway capable now, or still limiting to less than 55?
Still keeping it to the 55. The tires are just too out of balance. I will have to give you a ride it in sometime going down the road, you'll see what I mean.
nostaw wrote:

JW[/quote]

Not only was I getting the knock while moving I was also getting it at a stop. All I had to do it turn the wheel side to side. I am no Jeep god but I am going to guess a dead spot in the shock?
Josh Schwalb
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

schwalby wrote:
Modeler wrote:Are you highway capable now, or still limiting to less than 55?
Still keeping it to the 55. The tires are just too out of balance. I will have to give you a ride it in sometime going down the road, you'll see what I mean.
nostaw wrote:

JW
Not only was I getting the knock while moving I was also getting it at a stop. All I had to do it turn the wheel side to side. I am no Jeep god but I am going to guess a dead spot in the shock?[/quote]
I meant the new stabilizer is preventing the DW... Dead spot or bent stabilizer might explain the knock.

JW