Steering Issue

IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Steering Issue

Unread post by IronTortoise »

I have had an issue with steering for some time now. I notice that in 2WD I can turn fairly well in both directions left or right. The turning radius seems to be about the same. When I shift into 4WD I notice that my right turn seems pretty good and fairly normal but my left turn seems very poor. The turning radius is grossly larger. It seems the wheels turn about the same angle whether in 4 or 2WD. I have a Dana 30 in front with the axle disconnect eliminated and a lock right lunchbox locker installed.I am wondering if the locker is not functioning properly in the left turn?
ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Steering Issue

Unread post by ChrisD »

you lost me at "I have an issue"... LOL

Correct me if I am wrong guys... but when the locker is engaged the locker is not allowing the tires to spin at different rates. This is normal, not sure about one direction working better than the other.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

You're getting some feedback into the steering from the front having the Lockright and no disco.

It's normal when running in a front axle. I have a Lockright in my front high pinion 44, but I run drive flanges instead of locking hubs. I feel the feedback once in a while under hard turns. The rear spool around corners makes the front seem minor though.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Just noticed you said just a left hand turn. There could be a couple of things, one being that the right side axleshaft is longer and thus offers more twist to compensate, or I suppose there could be an issue with the locker. Drop the cover and check things out.
IronTortoise
BSJ Member

As I said, the problem has existed for some time. It is a very pronounced difference between the left and right turns, something like several times greater turning radius left than right. The problem existed with the disconnect axles (while engaged). I just had the cover off and nothing appeared out of order in the locker that I could see. Just put in the new disconnect elimination axle shafts. The locker is very old. I had it installed when I bought the jeep new in 1994.I have heard the springs can wear out.
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Maybe one of your front tires is a bit larger in diameter than the other.
Would cause harder turning in one direction over the other.
Tire wear....
Air pressure difference...
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

If you're in 4WD and making a turn on the trail, it wouldn't matter what condition the springs are in, because you are under power.

In that case and IMO, it would be harder to turn left than right. Under power, it's going to push through corners. There's nothing we can do about that with an auto locker - but due to the twist of the longer axleshaft on the right, the wheel speed isn't constant - and it almost seems like it helps differentiate for tighter turning. Not so on the left side.

Maybe Frank or Curtis can comment on their CJ's turning radius (the front diff being on the pass. side).
IronTortoise
BSJ Member

Perhaps this is just something I am going to have to live with. Kurt, do you notice a similar effect on your YJ?
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

IronTortoise wrote:Perhaps this is just something I am going to have to live with. Kurt, do you notice a similar effect on your YJ?
Can't say I have noticed any difference left or right turning.
For the most part I only run it off road and only occasionally on the road.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
IronTortoise
BSJ Member

Thanks Kurt. If you do not notice a difference then there is definitely something up with my Jeep. I am now set up very similarly to you now. It is very pronounced.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

IronTortoise wrote:Thanks Kurt. If you do not notice a difference then there is definitely something up with my Jeep. I am now set up very similarly to you now. It is very pronounced.
Didn't you have another thread regarding your steering? Make sure the pitman arm and all steering components are tight.

Also, one thing that I just though of with YJ's - check the front shackle bushings at the frame. If worn, the axle will turn side-to-side instead of turning the wheels. I have 1/2" lift shackles, but longer would add leverage and compound the effect.

I have to change mine every couple of years since going to 35's and then 38's. It was pretty pronounced in Moab due to the traction and 300 lbs of rubber trying to turn. To test, have someone cut the wheel side-to-side and watch from the outside.

Other than that, I would say that you'd have to pull the locker to check it out and make sure everything is up to snuff. Check the dog teeth on the drivers.
84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by 84cj »

As Joe mentioned I have a CJ with a detroit tru trac in the front dana 30 and my turning radius is fine in 2wd but once I engage 4wd turning left is an issue, just like you mentioned. At first I thought I installed the steering stabilizer wrong, but it was installed correctly. I do not have an explanation as to why this happens, I just drive accordingly.