Play at Rod End on Pitman arm

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Play at Rod End on Pitman arm

Unread post by del_TJ »

Hi guys, Happy Memorial day.

I'm still finding damage from the recent Rausch Creek trip. When I grab the top of my drag link and push up, there's about 1 or 2mm worth of uptravel at the rod end that connects the pitman arm and drag link. It's causing a small dead spot in the center of my steering, but otherwise the steering is fine. I have a Crown ZJ steering upgrade but I believe it has a stock TJ style drag link and rod end on the pitman.

Can I just tighten the castle nut and call it a day, or should I pull the rod end and replace it? How do I tell if the rod end is still okay?

Tony
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Play at Rod End on Pitman arm

Unread post by Kurt »

Wiggle it up and down and see if the castle nut moves.
If it does then tightening the castle nut may take care of it. Retighten the nut and wiggle again.
If the castle nut doesn't move when you wiggle it up and down then the TRE is shot and needs replacing.

I founds lost of poop wrong with my heep yesterday too.
- Loose wheel bearing nut and bearing assy was flopping around
- 2 of 3 bolts sheered off my passengers highsteer bracket & 2 cracks in said bracket.
- Bent Tied rod assembly

All better now :whistle:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by del_TJ »

Kurt wrote:Wiggle it up and down and see if the castle nut moves.
If it does then tightening the castle nut may take care of it. Retighten the nut and wiggle again.
If the castle nut doesn't move when you wiggle it up and down then the TRE is shot and needs replacing.

I founds lost of poop wrong with my heep yesterday too.
All better now :whistle:
The castle nut moves up and down a bit with the rod end itself. When I push up, there's about 1mm gap between the nut and the pitman arm.

Also, both my diff covers losened and were leaking but still had plenty of oil in them. Must have been all that rock crawling :shhh: The front one left a puddle in my garage but it's fixed now. The rear one is still dripping a tiny bit, but I need to find some limited slip additive before I can reseal it.
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

del_TJ wrote: Also, both my diff covers losened and were leaking but still had plenty of oil in them. Must have been all that rock crawling :shhh: The front one left a puddle in my garage but it's fixed now. The rear one is still dripping a tiny bit, but I need to find some limited slip additive before I can reseal it.

I've used these for years, never an issue... http://lubelocker.com/
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

DOUG wrote:
del_TJ wrote:

I've used these for years, never an issue... http://lubelocker.com/
X2 on the lube locker. Not years but a year and half or so of happy use from these... :)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

X3 on the lube locker gaskets!!!!! Been using one on my front diff for 6-7 years now!!! Remove the cover, wipe the lube locker with a rag, reinstall, done!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."