Shock mounts

84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Shock mounts

Unread post by 84cj »

Since I am goingto have to buy new shocks, could I move my shock mounts to my axle tube to the left of each spring and buy a shorter shock? The front is set up this way???
SidewaysTim
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: Shock mounts

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

When I had my CJ-7 I added a crossmember at the tops of the "axle humps" in the rear frame, mounted my shocks to my rear axle tubes and ran the diagonally to almost the center of the crossmember kinda like this _/\_ .

For the crossmember I used 2 pieces of angle iron welded across the frame like this _I I_ to make a double shear mount for the tops of the shocks.

For the shock mounts on the axle tubes I took a piece of 1 3/4" tube about 2" long, cut in half to make 2 "C" shapes and drilled a hole for a bolt in them. I then ran the bolt through the 1/2 piece of tube and welded it in place like this -c then I welded that to the axle tube like this -cO if you can make sense of my crude descriptions.

You could probably take a piece of C-channel and weld it parallel to the axle tube for a simple double shear lower shock mount easily enough though.

It worked well and allowed for a lot of articulation with little to no binding. I used Ranch RS9000 shocks at the time (13 years ago) so that I could stiffen the shocks and fine tune the ride.

I also did a M.O.R.E. front shock hoop set-up that spanned the engine compartment that used the same shocks as the rear.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

You can move them... just have to make sure the new location / length won't limit your droop / compression.

JW
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

SidewaysTim wrote:When I had my CJ-7 I added a crossmember at the tops of the "axle humps" in the rear frame, mounted my shocks to my rear axle tubes and ran the diagonally to almost the center of the crossmember kinda like this _/\_ .

For the crossmember I used 2 pieces of angle iron welded across the frame like this _I I_ to make a double shear mount for the tops of the shocks.

For the shock mounts on the axle tubes I took a piece of 1 3/4" tube about 2" long, cut in half to make 2 "C" shapes and drilled a hole for a bolt in them. I then ran the bolt through the 1/2 piece of tube and welded it in place like this -c then I welded that to the axle tube like this -cO if you can make sense of my crude descriptions.

You could probably take a piece of C-channel and weld it parallel to the axle tube for a simple double shear lower shock mount easily enough though.

It worked well and allowed for a lot of articulation with little to no binding. I used Ranch RS9000 shocks at the time (13 years ago) so that I could stiffen the shocks and fine tune the ride.

I also did a M.O.R.E. front shock hoop set-up that spanned the engine compartment that used the same shocks as the rear.

That sounds like a great idea for the rear.

For the front, you can use Ford Super Duty front upper shock towers and run a longer shock.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
84cj
BSJ Member

Unread post by 84cj »

Thanks for info and comfirming my suspicions.

Curtis
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Curtis : Did you dent the shocks from being on the spring plate hitting the axle tube ? I dented all 4 of mine so I put mounts on the axle tubes. FjR68
84cj
BSJ Member

Unread post by 84cj »

Yes, for the rear only the fronts are mounted on the tube. I need to do something just not sure what.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Some of the older models had a raised mount that you could bolt or weld on. A lot of people use the F-150 Ford shock mounts as they allow a huge shock to be installed. Some trimming to the inner fender. Move the front toward the rear on the frame to avoid hitting the tube on droop. The rear should be okay. FjR68
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Curtis,
Have you looked at the B3 u-bolt plates from JKS? They wrap around the leaf pack, keeping the u-bolts out of harms way and the lower shock mount sits about in the middle of the leaf pack keeping it fairly protected too.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

No John : WE haven't seen them , got a site ? FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Frank wrote:No John : WE haven't seen them , got a site ? FjR68
http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prod ... duct=10899

"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

From the JKS site... :sad:

We're sorry but we are no longer carrying this product. Please use the top navigation menu to locate other
JKS products.
Thank You
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Dynatrac has flip kits though. http://www.dynatrac.com/products_ubolt.html

BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

That first kit looked to be well thought out. This flip thing looks simple enough. Thanks Kurt. FjR68
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

Frank wrote:That first kit looked to be well thought out. This flip thing looks simple enough. Thanks Kurt. FjR68
I went to a junkyard and got plates from a pickup that matched the tube diameter and flipped my rear u-bolts. Fabbed up a plate on the bottom with little ramps to protect the bottom of the u-bolts hanging under the spring. I welded lower shock mounts to the axle tube, lost a little travel but I don't bang the shocks on the rocks less often. Very happy with this mod. Have thought about outboarding or doing a triangle setup for shocks to get some more travel but haven't done anything yet.

http://www.jeeptech.com/susp/ubolt.html

-Andy